[News] [Rival] Yahoo Doesn't Want Microsoft, Seeks Alternatives

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Yahoo Doesn't Want Microsoft, Seeks Alternatives
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:38:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Fucking Eric Schmidt is a fucking pussy. I’m going to fucking bury that guy, I
have done it before, and I will do it again. I’m going to fucking kill
Google."
                                        --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Google Offers to Help Yahoo Fight Off Microsoft

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120212455196540537.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Yahoo CEO hoping to thwart Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Inc. Chief Executive Jerry Yang told employees Wednesday that the
| struggling Internet pioneer is still examining ways to avoid a takeover by
| rival Microsoft Corp.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080206/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_yahoo

Yahoo seeking ways to avoid a Microsoft takeover: Yang

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo chief executive Jerry Yang sent a message to employees on Wednesday,
| assuring them the firm's leaders are exploring ways to avoid a takeover by
| software giant Microsoft.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080207/bs_afp/usitcompanytakeovermicrosoftyahoo

Microsoft wants to play very dirty (see below). Ballmer must be shouting and
cursing as his stock falls despite massive buybacks.

Days ago (thanks, Jerry):

Microsoft is ready to oust Yahoo! board to achieve swift takeover

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is threatening to launch a boardroom coup at Yahoo! within six
| weeks if the internet search engine fails to accept its $45 billion (£23
| billion) hostile takeover proposal or start serious merger talks, The Times
| has learned.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3300964.ece?EMC-Bltn=LOXCF1

Related:

Google takes aim at Microsoft with more e-mail security products

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc. is adding more e-mail security and storage products for
| businesses, sharpening its aim on a Microsoft Corp. stronghold while the
| competition between the two rivals also heats up in Internet search and
| advertising.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23002945/

Yahoo may consider Google alliance, source says

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Inc would consider a business alliance with Google Inc as one way to
| rebuff a $44.6 billion takeover proposal by Microsoft, a source familiar with
| Yahoo's strategy said on Sunday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN0362915520080204

Microsoft-Yahoo Deal Faces Competition Scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's audacious $44.6bn bid for Yahoo! could fall foul of European
| competition law, according to a leading competition consultancy.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=6D714A80-16E9-4F25-94B0-B87519A3F182

With Yahoo, Microsoft faces antitrust fight once again

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's proposed $44.6 billion purchase of Yahoo could subject the
| software giant to the kind of critical antitrust scrutiny from Washington it
| hasn't experienced in nearly a decade.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9862973-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo axes music service, strikes deal with Rhapsody

,----[ Quote ]
| RealNetworks, ironically, has a hostile history with Microsoft, too, dating
| back to an antitrust scuffle several years ago that led to a partnership in
| which RealNetworks ultimately claimed it was shortchanged.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9863937-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft + Yahoo = No Longer a Recipe for Success

,----[ Quote ]
| So once again, we have Microsoft throwing outrageous amounts of money late at
| what should have been an obvious merger for them a long time ago. I recall a
| discussion on the Gillmor Gang podcast at least two years ago that wondered
| when -- not if -- Microsoft would buy Yahoo! Most of those on the call,
| including me, said it was the only outcome for Yahoo! and the only way for
| Microsoft to blunt Google.
|
| But that was then, and this is now. So the burning question today is not
| whether a Microsoft-Yahoo! mashup makes sense -- it has made sense for years.
| The question is whether it makes sense now, at this outlandish price, and if
| this in fact marks the point where Microsoft makes a desperate and
| devastating mistake.
|
| Is the Yahoo! cloud built on Windows? Nope. So the model of Windows
| Everywhere is junk. Will the burgeoning Microsoft cloud and the aging Yahoo
| clouds work well together? Will one be able to absorb the other? I say no to
| both.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/62887-microsoft-yahoo-no-longer-a-recipe-for-success?source=yahoo

Apple among those considering rival bid for Yahoo?

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to Apple and News Corp., several other firms are reported to be
| unwilling to allow Microsoft to gobble up Yahoo without a fight, including
| American media conglomerate InterActiveCorp and leading Chinese search firms
| such as Alibaba.com.
|
| "Yahoo chief executive and co-founder Jerry Yang is understood not to be
| Microsoft's greatest fan, and would be prepared to line up another 'white
| knight' rather than concede to Ballmer," the Scotsman wrote in its report.-
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/04/apple_among_those_considering_rival_bid_for_yahoo.html
http://tinyurl.com/3cuudj

Yahoo's Zimbra ships ZCS 5.0 suite upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| ZCS 5.0 is free in its Open Source Edition, while fees vary for the Network
| Edition commercial version, which customers can try out for free for 60 days.
| ZCS can be downloaded and installed by customers on premise or used as
| Web-hosted software as a service.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/05/Yahoo-Zimbra-ships-5-suite-upgrade_1.html

Microsoft's Offer To Yahoo Falling

,----[ Quote ]
| In all of the Microsoft-Yahoo talk so far, no official deadlines have been
| given.  There may be an implicit hurry-up factor, however, as it seems that
| Microsoft's sinking stock price could force it to adjust the deal.
|
| The offer of $44.6 billion was made back when Microsoft was worth around
| $33.60 per share.  But since it was actually a half-cash, half-stock offer,
| and Microsoft is now at $29.07 per share, the grand total is now closer to
| $41 billion.
|
| Yahoo's leaders and stockholders may not like the idea of over $3 billion
| vanishing in a week's time.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/06/microsofts-offer-to-yahoo-falling

Value of Microsoft's bid for Yahoo falls

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/06/microsoft-reduces-bid-yahoo

Yahoo Wants An Upgrade Of Microsoft Money

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/06/yahoo-wants-an-upgrade-of-microsoft-money

Yahoo Could Give European Search To Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo is rumored to be ready to make a deal with Google in Europe. By
| outsourcing search ads on the Continent to Google, Yahoo could boost its
| returns on that revenue stream.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/06/yahoo-could-give-european-search-to-google

Money Comes Back To Google