[News] TrueCrypt 5.0 and the GNU/Linux GUI

  • Subject: [News] TrueCrypt 5.0 and the GNU/Linux GUI
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:55:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
TrueCrypt 5.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce that TrueCrypt 5.0 has been released. Among the
| new features are the ability to encrypt a system partition or entire system
| drive (i.e. a drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication,
| pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100%, Mac OS X
| version, graphical interface for the Linux version, XTS mode, SHA-512, and
| more.
`----

http://www.truecrypt.org/news.php

Truecrypt 5 Linux Screencast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUqR5fTH1y4

Related:

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Symantec antivirus makes encrypted files inaccessible on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is plugging the Encrypted File System (EFS) feature on
| Vista for mobile users as an important security enhancement. It's
| potentially a good thing too, in case your notebook gets stolen,
| but it's something of a nightmare scenario if popular antivirus
| programs like Symantec don't play nicely with it.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha/2381

Vista encryption 'no threat' to computer forensics

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're seeing the same concerns with Vista as we saw with XP over the
| idea that built-in encryption features might frustrate law
| enforcement efforts. In practice XP has not proved to be a problem
| for computer forensics and we don't think Vista will be either,"
| said Bill Thompson, director of professional development and
| training at Guidance Software.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/computer_forensics_vista/

Hardware-based encryption will win in the laptop market

,----[ Quote ]
| Software-based encryption required about 20 to 30 percent CPU utilization for
| cryptographic operations. CPU utilization using a Seagate encrypting hard
| drive was zero percent. What about overall system latency? The hardware
| introduces almost none; you are talking microseconds.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9802700-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Trusted storage specs near completion

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the new guidelines, drive encryption and decryption is performed
| through hardware on the drive. Devices that currently use software
| encryption will still be able to interact with trusted storage drives.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/trusted_computing_drafts_hdd_security/

Who do You Trust with Your Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| Helios was speaking out against trusted computing (TC) and Digital
| Rights Management (DRM) that is humming softly at the hardware and
| software level inside YOUR computer right now. That's right! Chances
| are, it's already made it on a chip on your and my motherboards...but
| it's there. Soon, if what can happen does happen...we'll all be so
| very unhappy at being told how we can and can't operate our PCs.
|
| Some of you may be asking, "what the heck are you talking about?
| They can't tell me how I can use my computer inside my own home".
| Unfortunately, that statement is false. DRM chips are already on a
| majority of motherboards and even built into some processors (viiv
| anyone?). All it takes is a flip of the switch and you'll do what
| Microsoft or any other company that wants to manage your rights
| for you tells you to do whether you like it or not. That is, ofc
| ourse, unless you use Linux :)  Linux has always been about
| choice...we choose to compute in ways WE want to...not ways
| that are defined for us.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/176-Who-do-You-Trust-with-Your-Computing.html

Defense kicks off open-source encryption program

,----[ Quote ]
| "Interests within the DOD were pleased with the results of the
| initial OpenSSL validation program and have identified extensions
| to that work for greater availability of FIPS 140-2 validated
| open- source software for use within DOD IT systems," Weathersby said.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/43425-1.html

PGP creator: Net is like 'downtown Bagdad'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/21/pgp_at_15/