[News] Firefox Goes Beyond the Web, Expands, Relies on Open Source for Success

  • Subject: [News] Firefox Goes Beyond the Web, Expands, Relies on Open Source for Success
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:28:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Born from Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| They are four applications designed to serve different purposes: A web
| browser, a music player and organizer, another that does the same for video,
| and a word processor for screenwriters. Yet they share one thing in common:
| All were built with a Mozilla-based toolkit, either the Gecko Runtime
| Environment or its successor, XULRunner. Both toolkits use the same codebase
| which runs Firefox.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/020508-firefox.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

about:mozilla - Firefox 2, Firefox 3, Thunderbird, Add-ons, icecream, and more

,----[ Quote ]
| David Ascher blogs, “The AFP (France’s largest news agency) reports
| that ‘French police deal blow to Microsoft‘, referring to the Gendarmerie
| Nationale’s decision to move to an open source stack for their 70,000 seats,
| using Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox, and Thunderbird.
|
| Equally impressive, Tristan Nitot reports (in French) on his conversation
| with a representative of the French Defense Ministry, who indicates that
| they’re recommending Postfix as the mail server and Thunderbird as the
| recommended mail client for most users, reaching up to 200,000 users (this
| doesn’t include the 70,000 mentioned above).”
`----

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2008/02/05/aboutmozilla-firefox-2-firefox-3-thunderbird-add-ons-icecream-and-more/

Keeping the Mozilla momentum with the open source model

,----[ Quote ]
| Turning people loose is really valuable. You have to figure out what space
| and what range but you get a lot more than you would expect out of them.
| Second, figure out where you want input. There are different varieties of
| input and user-generated content. Figuring out what you really want is very
| important. If you’re doing one thing and sending out a message that you’re
| doing another, I think you’re dead.
| Third, look hard at whether there are areas where you can give up some
| control. If you can’t, then stay away from this type of model.
| The idea that a single individual is the best decision maker and should have
| ultimate control works only sometimes. When you ask people to stop what they
| are doing, you lose their creative thought. This approach can get even harder
| when that person shows that you’re making a mistake. In a lot of places,
| people don’t really admit their mistake, which I think is delusional because
| we all know that no one’s perfect.
`----

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Feb62008/cyberspace2008020550600.asp

Related:

Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
| efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
| is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
| amazing: true GTK support.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firefox-30-beta-2-is-a-win-for-linux/

Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
| during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
| point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

,----[ Quote ]
| I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
| unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
| technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
| capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox
| chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
| had never previously considered.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/personas-from-mozilla-labs-gives-firefox-a-sleek-coat

Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

,----[ Quote ]
| Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
| active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
| Firefox’s navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/13/update-on-the-firefox-3-linux-theme/

Shop offers Firefoxers a discount

,----[ Quote ]
| He reckons Fireyferret users get, "a better overall experience when browsing
| the internet. We want to reward people who take the next step and try the
| browser for themselves."
|
| We reckon it's just a publicity stunt, so we've forgotten to mention the name
| of the shop or provide a link.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/07/shop-offers-firefoxers-discount

Mozilla freezes Firefox 3.0 Beta 3