Re: [News] [Rival] Is Microsoft Secretly Low on Cash? (Reuters)

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 06 February 2008 07:28 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 05 February 2008 18:20 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> You might have been following the thread with "Duncan Meyer", who seems
>>> to be Gary Stewart, showing a shocking lack of comprehension of basic
>>> business accounts.  In any case, the real picture is that Microsoft have
>>> "mislaid" about "US$20bn" in assets over the last three years; a quick
>>> peek at their balance sheets for the last three years shows this
>>> clearly.
>>>
>>> They have been haemoraging cash for a very very long time now, and it
>>> *has* to come from somewhere, along with propping up the share price buy
>>> constant share buy-backs, which also has to be funded somehow.
>>>
>>> The idea that MS might borrow money to buy Yahoo is amazing, since it
>>> demonstrates that Microsoft still believe that their problems are
>>> external.  Yahoo, of course, are suffering as much as MSN are, buying
>>> another failing business is not going to solve their problems.
>>> Borrowing money to do it starts to look a lot like another Enron or
>>> Worldcom in the making.
>>
>> They still make some money with Office. That air supply will be cut when ODF
>> becomes more widespread. Many governments and software vendors already adopt
>> ODF, which has Microsoft scared enough to resort to crime (c/f OOXML
>> stories).
>>

> The basic financial question is around whether their income from Office
> is enough to hold up all their lossmaking divisions, including Windows,
> Xbox, Zune, Search etc.  If the Office division had a sustainable
> business case, then it would be reasonable to close the others and just
> continue with Office, however, ODF and Google Office are the hammer and
> anvil by which Microsoft Office is being wrought out of the market.

Microsoft's propaganda and smear campaign against Google Apps (EMPHASIS:
not /for/ Microsoft Office) are a sign of FUD that shows worry. Microsoft used
typical partners/arms like the Burton Group, which it also used to attack ODF
and later poison journalists who were invited to Redmond at Microsoft's
expense. They were flown in from countries that votes "No" to OOXML.

I am trying to give you an idea of the level of manipulation/corruption. Maybe
there are some Valentine's Documents lying somewhere at Microsoft at a
moment -- summarising a thinking tank whose title was "How to Kill Google".

> Buying Yahoo is not going to change this.  All I can imagine is that the
> execs think that buying yahoo will get them some extra online customers.
> People I've spoken to have said that they'll abandon Yahoo and go to
> Google if Microsoft buy them, at least for Mail.  They already use Google
> for search.  MS are just not sexy any more.

I think of this more as a crazy move. They have a very eccentric CEO who will
do anything -- and I mean ANYTHING -- to destroy someone whom he envies. The
cost doesn't deter him. If Yahoo inflates someone's ego, then there will be a
fake smile whose only purpose is to welcome cautious prey.

Microsoft will not "f**cking kill Google" like Ballmer had hope. Microsoft
might, however, "f**cking kill Yahoo!" by buying it.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
Swap:  1510068k total,   751612k used,   758456k free,    47200k cached