[News] The Story of a Company That Prefers Open Source, Grails Reaches 1.0

  • Subject: [News] The Story of a Company That Prefers Open Source, Grails Reaches 1.0
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:02:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SAAS application monitoring company relies on JMeter

,----[ Quote ]
| For Hayduk, the benefits of open source software outweighed any
| challenges. "It's free," he says. "It's gotten a lot more mature in the last
| couple of years, especially the projects that have a large community behind
| them. And there's greater adaptability, and it is very easy to find people
| who know how to use it. Young people in college have gone to open source
| instead of traditional enterprise software.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/125795

Grails 1.0 Web framework ready

,----[ Quote ]
| The Grails 1.0 open source Web application development framework was
| announced this week by G2One, which specializes in Groovy and Grails
| technology, and the Grails development team.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/02/05/grails-1-0-web-framework-ready

Related:

PLM vendor says SAAS and OSS are a natural together

,----[ Quote ]
| The production network runs on Red Hat servers, and Larkin takes advantage of
| tools like WebSphere CE application server, Nagios for system monitoring, and
| Snort for intrusion detection.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122792

Is SaaS legitimate open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| So today’s question is this. Is the Web evolving too fast for the licenses?
| Can licenses catch up to deal with the demands of an online world? Or will
| Web 2.0, based on open source software, remain in effect “proprietary.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1349

SaaS vs. Open Source: Open Source will win

,----[ Quote ]
| The SaaS guys that provide actual value like Omniture, OpSource and a few
| others have a retainable space in the ecosystem. But, it's hard to see how
| majority of the companies on display at Dreamforce will build sustainable
| revenue outside of the Salesforce.com
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/09/saas_vs_open_so.html

Windows losing ground to Linux clients — how far off can the servers be?

,----[ Quote ]
| The impact of SaaS in particular bears watching as more ISVs adopt
| on-demand approaches as their next best growth opportunity, even
| though they will still have a Windows port. SaaS, not Linux, is
| the slippery slope that will affect Microsoft most negatively
| over time. Go to SaaS fully and forget the client beneath the browser.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2490

Software-as-a-service vendor stands by open source infrastructure

,----[ Quote ]
| Finch says that, while entrepreneurs may be tempted to use closed
| source technology to run their business, they should consider using
| open source. "The reality is that a lot of people are more familiar
| with Windows and they think they know what they're doing. If you're
| getting ready to roll out an infrastructure and you're thinking,
| should I go with Windows or open source, in the long run I'm
| absolutely certain that open source is going to save them money.
| They're going to find it easier to manage, easier to upgrade,
| easier to control, and less likely to get hacked."
`----

http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/22275

Is Microsoft Office Doomed?

,----[ Quote ]
| Browser-based productivity tools may be the way of the future.
| But today, they're a promising, intriguing, sometimes
| infuriating mixed bag.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127641-page,1/article.html

NaviSite Hosts Microsoft-Based ISV Sandbox

,----[ Quote ]
| As Microsoft tries to gain traction in the SaaS and managed services
| worlds, it needs to gain credibility for its Windows SaaS business
| application powers. Salesforce.com and NetSuite rely largely on Linux
| operating systems and Oracle database infrastructure, and Salesofrce.com
| also uses Solaris. New Microsoft arch-nemesis Google, which earns its
| millions selling ads rather than its Internet search service, is also
| Linux-focused.
|
| NaviSite, a long-time hosting partner for Microsoft, Progress Software,
| Infor and other applications, also runs applications on Solaris and
| Linux infrastructure. The company is expected to offer sandboxes in
| those environments as well.
`----

http://www.crn.com/sections/software/software.jhtml?articleId=193005282

ValueCentric Uses Oracle(R) Database and Oracle Unbreakable Linux to Power
Software as a Service Offering for the Pharmaceutical Industry

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQM01721012008-1.htm