[News] Linux Gets High Security Badge, Enters the Entire US Military

  • Subject: [News] Linux Gets High Security Badge, Enters the Entire US Military
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 02:47:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
TCS makes Linux DISA compliant

,----[ Quote ]
| Trusted Computer Solutions has upgraded its Security Blanket security
| compliance software so that it can make Red Hat Enterprise Linux compliant
| with the settings defined in the Defense Information Systems Agency’s
| Security Technical Implementation Guide for that operating system.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/45781-1.html

Trusted Computer Solutions Introduces Industry's First Automated Tool to
Lockdown Linux Servers to Meet DISA STIGS

,----[ Quote ]
| Trusted Computer Solutions, today announced that Security Blanket 1.2, an
| automated tool for locking down Linux operating systems (OS), now supports
| the government's lock down profile for the stringent Defense Information
| Systems Agency's (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs), as
| well as commercial lock-down profiles defined by the SANS Institute, the
| Center for Internet Security (CIS) and customized user-defined profiles.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/technology/article/cnet-networks-selects-hyperic-management-tool-web-operations_465166_12.html
http://tinyurl.com/2opgdr

Linux Will Be An Army of One!

,----[ Quote ]
| The United States Army revealed that their goal is to move entirely from
| Windows to Linux. While this will take considerable time, the Army is looking
| at ways of getting the two operating systems to work together. To accomplish
| this task, it's turning to Red Hat Enterprise 5.
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/News/Linux_Will_Be_An_Army_of_One.html

US Army struggles with Windows to Linux overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| In multiple media reports over the past two weeks, the US Army has professed
| its love for the penguin. The Army eventually intends to move from a
| Windows-based infrastructure over to Linux for its new, roughly $200bn
| weapons program.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/05/us_army_linux_integration/

If it's good enough for the DoD, then...

Related:

Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
Intelligence Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "When we rolled into Baghdad, we did it using open source," General
| Justice continued. "It may come as a surprise to many of you, but the
| U.S. Army is "the" single largest install base for Red Hat Linux.
| I'm their largest customer."
`----

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=17056&trv=1

Army Seeks to Catalyze Open Source Intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| A new U.S. Army Field Manual is intended to advance the development
| and use of open source intelligence (OSINT), which is intelligence
| that is derived from publicly available data legally obtained.
`----

http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2007/01/army_seeks_to_catalyze_open_so.html

A Network Appliance Platform for Linux Applications at the US Department of
Defense

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. military requirements for network devices are growing more and
| more demanding, making a flexible Linux-based platform the foundation
| of choice.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012207-dod-linux.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

High-integrity software is key topic at 2007 Military Technologies Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Following Tokar will be Redge Bartholomew, engineering manager at Rockwell
| Collins on "Static Analysis as an Example Approach to High Integrity Open
| Source Software."
|
| [...]
|
| "Why High Integrity Software Requires Open Source Tools," is the
| presentation of the module's last speaker, Robert Dewar, president and
| chief executive officer of AdaCore.
`----

http://mae.pennnet.com/display_article/285223/32/NEWS/none/none/High-integrity-software-is-key-topic-at-2007-Military-Technologies-Conference/

Department of Defense Releases Open Technology Development Roadmap

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/07/233257&from=rss