[News] Microsoft's Proprietary OOXML Corruptions in Detail, IBM Gets Cloud Deal

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Proprietary OOXML Corruptions in Detail, IBM Gets Cloud Deal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:02:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Super Friday to climax Microsoft Open XML push

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft hosted four different conference calls last week where officials
| called its proprietary XML standard essential to progress, and said Microsoft
| could not possibly support the Open Document Format.
|
| [...]
|
| Blogs like Boycott Novell and Noooxml have gone into fine detail on
| Microsoft’s takeover of national standards bodies and its attempt to, in
| effect, transform the ISO into a vendor consortium.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1973

Nice to receive some credit. :-)

IBM and European Union Launch Joint Research Initiative for Cloud Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Expanding its cloud computing initiative, IBM (NYSE:IBM - News) today
| announced that it is leading a joint research initiative of 13 European
| partners to develop technologies that help automate the fluctuating demand
| for IT resources in a cloud computing environment.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080205/0356480.html

They use GNU/Linux on the clouds.

Related:

Is Red Hat's New Development Environment Destined for an Amazon or IBM Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| So who will be the one to move their tools environment to the Amazon cloud
| first? Perhaps Amazon will offer several tools options, such as one for web
| apps and mashups, and another (or two) for Java development? You know you
| want to, Jeff.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56865-is-red-hat-s-new-development-environment-destined-for-an-amazon-or-ibm-cloud?source=yahoo

Aiming for the Clouds: The Red Hat Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: To get back to the original question, what is your assessment of the
| potential impact?
|
| A: It’s early, but November’s news was a good indication that innovation
| amongst economic models and deployment scenarios is still possible. Not to
| dismiss the importance of some of the new features of RHEL 5.1, but over the
| longer term I think AOS and the Cloud offering are far more important than
| mere bells and whistles, because they make Red Hat a competitor in markets
| where its penetration is currently low. Even if it’s success in those areas,
| then, is minimal, the news remains very significant.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/11/19/redhat_cloud/

Will the biggest clouds stay open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone wants to become Google these days. In a way.
|
| Google runs Linux.
|
| A lot of enterprises, from banking to health care, are now looking to deploy
| gigantic Internet-facing applications to customer sets numbering in the tens
| of millions. (Government, too.)
|
| The biggest and best IT system suppliers are gearing up for what they
| call “cloud” computing. IBM floated its offering today.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1684

Xcerion's Internet Cloud Forms Over Google and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If successful, it may be able to further erode the power Microsoft
| derives from control of the desktop, to beat Google at its
| software-as-a-service play, and to make commodity Linux boxes more
| viable as a computing platform for the masses.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=R2FGBWGYKLN5OQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197700815&queryText=xml
http://tinyurl.com/ynkp9q

IBM's Blue Cloud: The Tipping Point for Enterprise IT as Service

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Blue Cloud, arriving in the first half of 2008, will use IBM
| BladeCenter servers, a Linux operating system, Xen-based virtualization and
| the company's own Tivoli management software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/54406-ibm-s-blue-cloud-the-tipping-point-for-enterprise-it-as-service?source=yahoo

IBM to turn datacenters into 'computing cloud'

| IBM is calling the initiative Blue Cloud, and compared its significance to
| its decision several years ago to throw its weight behind Linux, which helped
| the open-source OS become more widely accepted by corporations.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071115/tc_infoworld/93434

Red Hat Pits Itself Against VMware

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat’s new goal is to underpin 50% of the world’s servers by 2015.
|
| And since virtualization is projected to take over the world by then that’s a
| lot of Xen virtualization – and there’s no extra cost in it like there is
| with VMware since it’s bundled with RHEL. (Red Hat’s telling people they’ll
| save $20,000-$30,000 a server.)
`----

http://www.clientservernews.com/

RHEL just tripled the size of its ISV ecosystem!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://sacha.labourey.com/2007/11/14/rhel-just-tripled-the-size-of-its-isv-ecosystem/