[News] Lobbyists Fight for Software Patents in Europe, Create Confusion

  • Subject: [News] Lobbyists Fight for Software Patents in Europe, Create Confusion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 04:06:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Monday miscellany

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday 19 February 2008 the Helsinki Institute of Information Technology
| (HIIT), Pilotti-rakennus, Metsänneidonkuja 4, Espoo, is conducting a seminar
| on software patents. The programme features Associate Prof (Hokkaido) Na Ri
| Lee speaking on "Fragmented Infringement of Computer Program Patents in the
| Global Economy", and Rosa Maria Ballardini, (IPR University Center, Hanken)
| then addresses the topic of "Software Patents in Europe: the Technical
| Requirement Dilemma". This is an internal seminar, which is not open to the
| public. But a version of Rosa Maria Ballardini's paper will be published
| later this year in the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice. The
| IPKat will let everyone know when this happens.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2008/02/monday-miscellany.html

The confusing case of software patents in the UK gets more confusing

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, the bottom line is that once again we find a case in which those
| seeking patent protection in Europe are far from certain as to where they
| stand. Can you obtain and then enforce software-related patents in the UK or
| not? Although the case decided yesterday involved patent applications to the
| UKIPO, there is still an issue with patents granted by the EPO.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=da14e875-4352-4167-8551-d01e0ebf1a3f

Related:

New European Patent Convention kicks off

,----[ Quote ]
| The revised European Patent Convention (EPC) finally came into effect today –
| nearly a decade after it was first agreed that an overhaul of the system was
| needed.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/european_patent_convention/

EPO revokes Amazon’s “Gift Ordering” patent after opposition hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| The so-called "Gift Order Patent" has been revoked by the EPO in an
| opposition proceeding today after a hearing involving three opposing parties
| and the patent proprietor, Amazon Inc. The patent relates to a method for
| purchasing goods over the Internet to be sent as gifts.
`----

http://www.epo.org/topics/news/2007/20071207.html

E.U. de facto endorses Microsoft's (claims of) Software Patents!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/10/30/15/13/02-e-u-de-facto-endorses-microsoft-