[News] Media Moguls Lobby Attacks Torrents Again. What About Linux ISOs?

  • Subject: [News] Media Moguls Lobby Attacks Torrents Again. What About Linux ISOs?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:26:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IFPI Forces Danish ISP to Block The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| The battle between the IFPI and the Pirate Bay continues. A Danish court
| ruled in favor of the IFPI, and ordered the Danish ISP “Tele2″ (DMT2-Tele2)
| to block all access to the popular BitTorrent tracker. The Pirate Bay,
| currently ranked 28th in the list of most visited sites in Denmark, is
| working on countermeasures.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-blocked-by-isp-080204/

Related:

IFPI: ISPs Should Block BitTorrent and The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) is trying to
| convince European lawmakers that ISPs should take extreme measures to fight
| piracy. They suggest that ISPs should block access to websites such as The
| Pirate Bay, and block filesharing protocols, no matter what they’re being
| used for.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/isps-should-block-bittorrent-and-tpb-071226/

Mark Cuban to ISPs: block all P2P traffic; Ars to Cuban: um, no

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, there are many legitimate uses for P2P that Google Video can't
| replace, like distributing Linux ISOs. Furthermore, the notion that the only
|          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| people who benefit from P2P technology are the distributors is wrong. If I
| have the option of grabbing a download from a distant single server or from a
| torrent with hundreds of users, I'm going to opt for the torrent. Why? It's
| almost guaranteed to be faster, and let's face it: most BitTorrent software
| is quite adept at managing large downloads. Perhaps I want to throttle it
| while playing a game; perhaps I want to encrypt my transfers. If I'm
| distributing video or audio, perhaps I don't wish to be bound by the terms of
| Google Video.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071122-mark-cuban-to-isps-block-all-p2p-traffic.html

Comcast reported to FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
|
| [...]
|
| Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
| Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
| professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
| schools.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/comcast-reported-fcc

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php