[News] Debian, Like the Kernel, Moves Fast!

  • Subject: [News] Debian, Like the Kernel, Moves Fast!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:45:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Debian news : release update: release team, blockers, architectures, schedule,
goals

,----[ Quote ]
| Early March 2008
| Very soft freeze
| Please start thinking about the release when uploading new major
| upstream versions. Only upload to unstable if you are sure that
| the software will be stable before we release. If you are not
| convinced, use experimental as staging area.
|
| Freeze of release goal list
| We will announce the final list of release goals and report about
| the progress made in each area. At this point, goals which look
| too hard to complete for lenny will be removed from the list (and
| automatically put on the list for lenny+1)
`----

http://debian-news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3997

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                                    --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Recent:

Next Debian release by year-end... maybe

,----[ Quote ]
| The next release of Debian GNU/Linux, Lenny, is expected to take place before
| the end of 2008, senior developer Martin Krafft told a miniconference on the
| distribution at the Australian national Linux conference today.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16309/1090/

The future of Linux: what it means for Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel release 2.6.24 came out on January 24, just before linux.conf.au
| began. Corbet estimates 2.6.25 will be finalised sometime around April.
|
| That rapid cycle represents an astonishing volume of new code. "We are adding
| about 2000 lines of code to the kernel every single day of the year, without
| exception," Corbet said. "Nobody can really keep up with this [on their own]
| any more. It's an amazing process, and it seems to be working."
|
| The project which those numbers immediately bring to mind is Wikipedia, which
| uses similar open source principles, along with an "anyone can contribute"
| ethos.
`----

http://apcmag.com/7924/the_future_of_the_linux_kernel_and_what_it_tells_us_about_wikipedia

Kernel Rate of Change

,----[ Quote ]
| "I re-ran some statistics the other day on our kernel development rate, and
| changed my formula after Andrew accused me of severely undercounting the rate
| of change," noted Greg KH during a discussion about the stability of the
| Linux kernel while undergoing significant changes.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Kernel_Rate_of_Change

Related:

Big Debian Linux Payday For HP