Re: [News] [Rival] Claimed 'Profits' Do Not Tell Microsoft's True Story

____/ Sinister Midget on Sunday 03 February 2008 15:45 : \____

> On 2008-02-03, Jerry McBride <jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Uh oh!
>>>
>>> Was Vista a disaster for Microsoft?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>> I did some reading about this and I'm quite surprised how far bug business
>> will go to spite themselves in the name of political correctness. If I was
>> an investor in those businesses I would be worried about where my money was
>> being spent and what R.O.I. I was getting in the exchange.
>
> They're getting a huge ROI. Yahoo gets gobbled up, everything turns to
> C.R.A.P. in a few years, stock price tanks, MS swallows something else
> whole (using almost all of the money that should have gone to
> stockholders), everything shoots down the dumper, the stock price falls
> below the last low, MS spends shareholders' dividends on an acquisition
> that looks good for 6 to 18 months before dropping into oblivion, MS
> wastes dividend funds on an acquisition, etc.
>
> Shareholders are responsible for their own lubrication. They can take
> it dry or slick, but they're gonna keep taking it until they finally
> wise up or the pyramid collapses.

Microsoft has been wooing Yahoo since 2006. It /has/ to. Google does right what
Microsoft cannot, despite the fact that it has invested (and lost) many
billions in this division. The staff exodus says it all louder:

Danny Thorpe quits the Windows Live development team

,----[ Quote ]
| Danny Thorpe, one of the higher-profile hires Microsoft made to its Windows
| Live team, has decided to leave for greener pastures.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=806

Yet another Microsoft search exec calls it quits

,----[ Quote ]
| In March, Blake Irving, the Corporate VP in charge of the Windows
| Live platform, announced his plans to leave Microsoft, effective
| this summer. Payne announced his resignation from Microsoft shortly
| after Irving made his announcement.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=407

at least no chairs were thrown…

,----[ Quote ]
| A friend of mine was walked out of Microsoft today.
|
| I’m not talking about Stuart Scott, the now former Microsoft CIO who was
| canned for “violating company policies.” No, another friend decided to leave
| the MSN Live Search team and join Google Kirkland.
`----

http://selberg.org/2007/11/06/at-least-no-chairs-were-thrown/

Another Microsoft Search reorg: Shum now leads engineering

,----[ Quote ]
| That same month, Windows Live Platform VP Blake Irving resigned, as did Chris
| Payne. the Corporate Vice President in charge of Windows Live Search.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=927

Former Microsoft Search Chief Bill Bliss On Early Search Missteps

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill's biggest regret? Not bypassing middle management that wasn't
| listening to him scream about the coming threat of Google and going
| right up to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.
`----

http://searchengineland.com/070309-094930.php

Microsoft Search Leader To Leave Company

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft Corp. vice president who led the company's push into
| Internet search is leaving the software giant as the effort he
| helped launch loses ground against lead competitor Google Inc.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/preview_login.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB117329976478329930.html%3Fmod%3Dyahoo_hs%26ru%3Dyahoo
http://tinyurl.com/2jran7

Microsoft Windows Live VP to resign

,----[ Quote ]
| Blake Irving, a Corporate Vice President in Microsoft's Windows
| Live Platform group, is resigning his post, according to sources
| close to the company.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=296

Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
| headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
| the next 10 years.
|
| [...]
|
| I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
| Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
| our century and they will get more and more people that know what
| they really want.
`----

http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html

Meanwhile, Microsoft has begun using legal proxies like Viacom to attack
Google. It also has FUD proxies like Burton Group to attack Google Apps.

Viacom's $1 Billion Lawsuit Of YouTube: Google Replaces Attorneys On The Case

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit was filed in march last year, and in May, Google hired Phil Beck,
| a partner with Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP, to lead its
| defense. Beck has represented George W. Bush in Florida during the 2000
| presidential election, and Microsoft (NasdaqGS: MSFT - News) during its
| anti-trust trial.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080117/1_318813_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Befriends Google's Foes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/06/microsoft-google-blodget-tech-cx_hb_0306blodget.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/3bewws

.----
| While in Britain last week, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer took a
| swipe at just about everything - from one of the world's largest
| Linux vendors to a social networking company he may end up buying.
| He insisted that Red Hat violates MS patents. He compared Facebook
| to GeoCities. He even accused Google of reading your email.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/ballmer_questions_google_redhat_and_social_networks/

Microsoft Taps PR Firm To Thwart Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's proposed purchase of DoubleClick earned it an invitation to a Senate
| subcommittee hearing this week. Microsoft's work with PR firm
| Burson-Marsteller could have helped print that invite.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/2007/09/24/microsoft-taps-pr-firm-to-thwart-google

Microsoft in row over lobby tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| The Observer has seen an email sent by a director at leading lobby firm
| Burson-Marsteller to a number of top UK businesses. The email urges board
| members to raise the issue of Google's dominance of search engines with
| politicians, regulators and the media.
`----

http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,2174794,00.html

Is anyone surprised Microsoft is lobbying to thwart Google?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=729

Google Apps Catches Flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is launching an anti-Google propaganda campaign.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/09/11/google-apps-catches-flak/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie