Re: [News] GPL vs BSD vs Exploitation by Predatory Monopoly

In article <1btzlsgwjtenq$.1w926tpb4wny1$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>,
Moshe Goldfarb  <brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:20:21 -0600, none wrote:
>
>> In article <10128867.8tItTksYdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Roy Schestowitz  <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>GPL and BSD : impact
>>>
>>>,----[ Quote ]
>>>|
>>>http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/01/gpl-and-bsd-impact.html
>>
>> The blog author did make one mistake. He has the following as a GPL
>> rule:
>>
>> -------------------------
>> #4: Everybody who modifies the source code must submit the changes back
>> to the original author
>> -------------------------
>>
>> That's not correct. Modifiers of GPL software are obligated to
>> distribute modifications downstream, not upstream. If I modify someone's
>> code then I have to give the source of the modification to anyone I give
>> the software to. That may or may not include the original author.
>>
>> In practice modifications are a public distribution. But there's nothing
>> in the GPL that requires the distribution be public.
>>
>> BAJ
>
>It's pretty pathetic when you Linux freaks can't even get your stories
>straight.

The original blog author didn't proport to be a Linux user. They were
only discussion Open Source licenses.

>The GPL is a clusterfsck.

The GPL is what it is. Stallman and the FSF want maximum
usage/modification/distribution freedom of software for end users. Most
of Linux truthfully is a mix of code licensed with either modified GPL
licenses are Open Source licenses with somewhat less restrictions than
the GPL.

BAJ