[News] GNU Mailman Developer Received Award for Free Software

  • Subject: [News] GNU Mailman Developer Received Award for Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 02:08:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Second Annual Winner of $10,000 Pizzigati Prize Announced by Tides Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Barry Warsaw is being recognized for his work as the lead developer of GNU
| Mailman, the open source application that hundreds of nonprofits around the
| world are now using to manage electronic mail discussions and e-newsletter
| lists.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/second-annual-winner-10000-pizzigati-prize-announced-tides-foundation_460339_1.html

*Very* widely-deployed software. Is anyone paying for mailing lists software?
Or is it a commodity?

Setting software free: Eben Moglen and digital age morality

,----[ Quote ]
| Moglen goes on to say: “every piece of useful or beautiful information can be
| distributed to everybody at the same cost that it can be distributed to
| anybody. For the first time in human history, we face an economy in which the
| most important goods have zero marginal cost” (Moglen 2003). Quite true. But
| miraculous as a zero marginal cost may be, Moglen neglects to tackle the
| issue of the cost of the first copy. This was true long before the Internet.
`----

http://thinkubator.ccsp.sfu.ca/SettingSoftwareFreeEbenMoglenAndDigitalAgeMorality

Related:

Open source entering the mobile computing space

,----[ Quote ]
| To give developers incentives, Funambol pays developers $500 to $3,000 to
| work on projects, such as a Google Android client for Funambol or a Google
| Gmail connector. The company also pays $25 to persons to test their phone to
| see if Funambol works on it.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1359667846;fp;2;fpid;1

[Free] Software Town

,----[ Quote ]
| "Software prices will eventually fall to zero. The open-source software
| movement has already started that commoditization." That pronouncement
| came last week from MIT professor Michael A. Cusumano at a one-day
| Silicon Valley conference called "The New Software Industry."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId=291485&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_feat
http://tinyurl.com/33la3k

Sun: Pay open-source developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is proposing that open-source developers be paid for
| the revenue-generating technology that they have made
| available for free.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/05/07/sunpay-opensource_1.html

Debian Linux project group to pay developers

,----[ Quote ]