Linux video game evolution

  • Subject: Linux video game evolution
  • From: Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:28:29 -0800 (PST)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I couldn't get this response through, so I started another thread.

On Feb 2, 5:22 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> That has to be the funniest statement from a Linux kook I have heard in a
> >> long time.
>
> > It's probably not entirely accurate.  Several game vendors, such as
> > Electronic Arts and Activision have created Linux engines which allow
> > games written to run on their Windows engine to run on the Linux
> > engine.
>
> Rubbish. Several who?

On Feb 2, 5:22 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Several game vendors, such as
> > Electronic Arts and Activision have created Linux engines which allow
> > games written to run on their Windows engine to run on the Linux
> > engine.
>
> Rubbish. Several who?

Here are a few links.

Shows a bit about Linux agents
http://linux.about.com/od/gmr_howto/a/hwtgmr12t07.htm

Another reference to the engines
http://www.linux.com/articles/21299

This was a complex link so I provided a tiny URL
http://tinyurl.com/yrpwqs

Some examples of EA games for Linux
http://www.info.ea.com/company/company_tw.php

Some Linux games sold through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=shanghai&index=videogames&page=1

An older link that shows some of the games offered for Linux in 1999.
http://www.linuxshowcase.org/1999/pr5.html

Another similar article.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1999_Oct_11/ai_56190034

Another list of various games available for Linux
http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Games/index.html

More Games.
http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&platform=47

This describes the Loki tool for running EA Descent.
http://www.amazon.com/Loki-Entertainment-Software-2038589-Descent/dp/B00004W4A4

Quake for Linux
http://www.amazon.com/Loki-Entertainment-Software-Quake-Arena/dp/B000046Q56

A description of some of the other platform emulations.
http://www.google.com/Top/Games/Video_Games/Computer_Platforms/Linux/

> > Most games are written using a virtual machine, similar to Java, which
> > is used as a wrapper so that the same software can be run on Windows,
> > PS2 or PS3, XBox, and Nindendo, and Linux.

> Rubbish. Absolute and utter tosh. Some have scripting engines, but the
> core engine is C and is generally platform dependant and is rarely if
> ever compiled for Linux because they tend not to support OGL in their
> "graphics API" independent layers.
>
> "Most" games have nothing of the sort. Or at least nothing for
> Linux. Most games MIGHT run on Linux IFF the sequence of Dx calls is
> supported in Wine or CEDEGA. Almost NO games are written for the PC in
> openGL anymore.

You are partially correct.   Since the game makers typically develop
for multiple platforms, such as Sony Playstation 2 & 3, Nintendo 64
and Wii, XBox 360, Windows PC, and Mac, they usually isolate the
rendering from the application, so that the rendering "engine" can be
switched without having to completely rewrite each application.
Often, the system is decoupled.

Remember too, that Linux has the ability to emulate many of these
other game consoles.

> > Rex

Rex