[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Protected by Russian Mafia?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Protected by Russian Mafia?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:07:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Russian FSB 'protecting' Storm Worm gang

| The creators of the Storm Worm botnet are known to US authorities but a lack
| of co-operation from their counterparts in St. Petersburg, Russia, is
| preventing action being taken.
|
| Dmitri Alperovitch director of intelligence analysis and hosted security at
| Secure Computing told The Washington Post that Russian President Vladimir
| Putin and political influence within the Federal Security Service (Russia's
| successor to the Soviet KGB) was hampering prosecution efforts. The
| implication is that elements of Russian intelligence agencies are protecting
| the city's cybercriminals.
|
| St. Petersburg was the centre of the infamous Russian Business Network. It's
| also reckoned by some to be the city the Storm Worm (more properly Trojan)
| authors call home.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/31/storm_worm_protection/

Classic. One mafia protects another, which capitalises on the broken software
of another.

Related:

Microsoft's man in Europe carries communist-era baggage

,----[ Quote ]
| That report sparked a flurry of speculation in Czech media and online
| chat rooms about Muehlfeit's role under the communist regime, and it
| elicited a public statement at the time from Microsoft, which
| supported Muehlfeit's integrity.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-man-europe-carries-communist-era/story.aspx?guid=%7BA26DE642%2DD6BC%2D4946%2DA2A7%2D158330F9E89B%7D&siteid=yhoof

Another Estonia Cyberattack

| The attack, which ended Tuesday, was minimally disruptive, according to
| Hillar Aarelaid, manager of Estonia's Computer Emergency Response Team
| (CERT). He described it as an "ordinary DDOS" (distributed denial of service)
| attack in which the news agency's servers were flooded with Internet traffic,
| in an attempt to crash them.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141438-c,cybercrime/article.html#

Bush, Estonian president talk cyberattacks

,----[ Quote ]
| "When you are a highly Interneted [sic] country like we are, then these
| kinds of attacks can do very serious damage."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734382-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

EU should class cyber attacks as terrorism: Estonia

,----[ Quote ]
| Estonia will propose at a meeting of European Union justice
| ministers next week that the bloc consider cyber attacks as
| "acts of terror", Estonian Justice Minister Rein Lang said Thursday.
`----

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/administration/afp-news.html?id=070607160418.pfpmeqvt&cat=science

U.S. cyber counterattack: Bomb 'em one way or the other

,----[ Quote ]
| If the United States found itself under a major cyberattack aimed
| at undermining the natio's critical information infrastructure,
| the Department of Defense is prepared, based on the authority of
| the president, to launch a cyber counterattack or an actual
| bombing of an attack source.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/020807-rsa-cyber-attacks.html

The feds weigh in on Windows security

,----[ Quote ]
| "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
| can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
| can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
| move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
| Paller wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Telegraph floored by DDoS attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Cyber-attacks have been much in the news of late. Last week,
| Russian and European leaders held a summit in the aftermath of a
| three-week cycle of denial of service attacks targeting the
| Baltic countries' internet infrastructure.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/telegraph_ddos/

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/