[News] Migration to GNU/Linux Can Start With Cross-platform Open Source Software

  • Subject: [News] Migration to GNU/Linux Can Start With Cross-platform Open Source Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:03:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Your Business to Open-Source Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost daily, headlines proclaim how businesses are cutting costs and
| improving productivity by using Linux-based, open-source software. But
| open-source is more than just Linux: Plenty of free, open-source applications
| are available for Windows and Mac OS X, as well.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/141930/open_your_business_to_opensource_apps.html

Another curious one:

25 Years Ago: Free, Easy, Software Begins

,----[ Quote ]
| When I heard about plans for this anniversary issue, it occurred to me that
| Fluegelman's influence, and his program's, amounted to far more than we
| realized at the time. PC-Talk was clearly a pioneer in helping PCs do
| something easily that initially was addressed as a clunky afterthought:
| communicate across vast distances. But I've recently come to understand that
| Fluegelman's little gem also pointed to a concept that went nameless at the
| time--open-source software--and to today's cornucopia of free applications
| and services.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141978/article.html

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Related and recent:

Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff

,----[ Quote ]
| Nortel CIO Steve Bandrowczak, who joined the Canadian telecoms and network
| equipment vendor last July, said "more and more CIOs are looking at Linux
| desktop for reasons of TCO" and argued that the technology "is receiving the
| same level of attention today as when Linux started on servers."
`----

http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html

Does anybody care about Mr. Gates’s visit in Paris?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/01/30/does-anybody-care-about-mr-gatess-visit-in-paris/