[News] Networked Attached Storage from H-P Runs Linux

  • Subject: [News] Networked Attached Storage from H-P Runs Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:46:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
HP introduces Linux-based NAS appliances

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard (HP) is debuting two Linux-based networked attached storage
| (NAS) devices for the consumer/SOHO market. Based on a Marvell Orion
| processor and equipped with a generous 512MB of RAM, the new low-end Media
| Vault appliances come in single- (mv2100) or dual hard drive (mv5100)
| versions.

Were they (H-P) not doing Windows Home Server before that data corruption
fiasco? Even Microsoft partners like H-P embrace Linux.

Related:

HP: Linux ready for mission-critical apps

,----[ Quote ]
| On whether the availability of different flavors of Linux will affect its
| adoption for mission-critical applications, Hergett said he did not think so.
|
| "In some ways it actually gives those decision makers more flexibility and
| more choices to choose from," he explained, adding that Unix has several
| iterations, too, and decision makers are "used to having that choice".
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62032821,00.htm

Big Debian Linux Payday For HP

,----[ Quote ]
| In fiscal 2006, $25 million in hardware sales in EMEA (Europe,
| Middle East and Africa) were directly related to HP's Debian
| support.
|
| "I was pretty shocked when I found out about this," Jeffrey
| Wade, worldwide marketing manager of open source and Linux at
| HP, told internetnews.com.

HP To Expand Effort On Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard, the world's Number 1 PC maker, will try selling pre-loaded
| Linux on PCs in several countries as it expands a test program -- evaluating
| a market that some competitors have already entered -- as it moves its
| personal computer business into a new generation of form factors and
| functionality.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/201807523

HP launches Linux desktop in Australia