[News] GNOME is Being Novellised, deIcazaized (Another Reason to Kick Ballnux)

  • Subject: [News] GNOME is Being Novellised, deIcazaized (Another Reason to Kick Ballnux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:04:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ndesk-dbus and the end of freedom in GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| Soon, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to "unMonofy" your GNOME, as once you will get
| rid of Tomboy, F-Spot, Beagle, Banshee, Muine, Telepathy, whatever, you won't
| be able to remove Mono, as it will be required as a GNOME system library!
`----

http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/01/31/15/21/05-ndesk-dbus-and-the-end-of-freedo

Disgusting. de Icaza and Microsoft are working to 'poison' Linux. And now comes
this.

Microsoft Launches IT Superhero Comic

,----[ Quote ]
| And because it's never easy, in order to read the archives of the comic
| you're going to need to install Microsoft's Silverlight.
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/31/2141219&from=rss

Oooh oooh! :-) Better get Monolight [sic], if it works properly at all.

Related:

Embracing the .Beast

,----[ Quote ]
| Mono allows programmers to program in Visual Basic on Linux and run their
| applications on Windows, or develop in C# on Windows and run their
| applications on Linux, but remains a controversial addition to the Linux
| developers' arsenal.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/servers/features/160776/embracing-the-beast.html

OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

,----[ Quote ]
| I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
| products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
| distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
| the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
| what basis they want to fight the free world.
|
| Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
| from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
| over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
`----

http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
| .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
| later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
| the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
| make public?
|
| [...]
|
| And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
| the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
| best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
| he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
| proprietary company's side to his side!!!
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11081&Itemid=1091

Red Hat Doesn't Want Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a lot of great new programs and innovations expected
| in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Novell-led Mono project isn't
| one of them.

Who would use Mono now?

,----[ Quote ]

`----