[News] Mobile Linux Grabs Significant Market Portion in Asia

  • Subject: [News] Mobile Linux Grabs Significant Market Portion in Asia
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:47:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mobile Linux on the move in Asia, study says

,----[ Quote ]
| A Research and Markets study says that the market share for mobile Linux in
| Asia will increase in 2008. The study also predicts that smartphones will
| continue to grab mobile-phone market share, and will represent 22 percent of
| the Asian mobile market this year.

Based on the press release from yesterday:

Linux To Challenge Symbian, Microsoft In Mobile Phone Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Purple Magic is a 3G Linux reference feature phone that costs less than $100
| and combines video telephony, music playback, high-speed Internet browsing,
| and video streaming.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206101269

Yesterday:

1.24 billion mobile phones to ship in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The growth in mobile phone shipments will slow slightly this year due to
| a “tougher” economic environment, but will still increase by 10 percent, to
| 1.24 billion units, a leading market research firm forecasts.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/01/30/124-billion-mobile-phones-expected-to-ship-in-2008/#more-47

Related:

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Microsoft cans key conference

,----[ Quote ]
| SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has decided that it does not love its popular Mobile
| and Embedded DevCon any more and has pulled the plug.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/16/microsoft-cans-key-conference

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06