[News] NetSecL 2.2 is Launched with Xfce, Detailed Xfce Survey of Distros Published

  • Subject: [News] NetSecL 2.2 is Launched with Xfce, Detailed Xfce Survey of Distros Published
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:25:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[NetSecL 2.2 Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| NetSecL 2.2 is out! As you can see I have shrinked the distro to 1 CD. The
| default desktop from now on is XFCE and you can still run KDE applications.
| In this release you will find 106 updates and 20 fixes, Linux kernel 2.6.23.9
| with GrSecurity ...
`----

http://netsecl.unixsol.org/

Choosing an XFCE-based distro

,----[ Quote ]
| Choosing an XFCE-based distro is not an easy task, because not all the users
| are the same. Some of them are having older hardware, but don't want to run
| Fluxbox or the like. Some other people want a great out-of-the-box multimedia
| experience. Another category of users would prefer a distro whose
| repositories include most of the applications they need, including GTK+ and
| non-GTK+ development libraries and tools, or some preferred applications
| (e.g. Meld, GnoCHM/xchm, gxine, etc.).
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/02/19/12/07/29-choosing-an-xfce-based-distro

Related:

Announcing XFCE on the IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Another b-e-a-utiful compiliation from Penguinbait. XFCE is now available for
| the Internet Tablet (Yes, the N770 and N800!).
`----

http://geekpenguin.blogspot.com/2007/09/xfce-on-it_12.html

What is XFCE still needing to become the #1 choice

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, the applications, tools, accessories and applets that come with XFCE
| are not contaminated with the Mono virus, and hopefully this won't change
| very soon. (Or at least, I hope so.) XFCE is reasonably mature, and
| constantly improving, so it has all the chances to become the mid-weighted
| Desktop Environment of choice pretty soon!
|
| To make XFCE be #1 (in "market share", if you want to put it this way), it
| doesn't have to look like Vista, nor to look like OS X Leopard; it's good
| that it's that configurable, but it's also good that it's simple by default.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/02/18/13/05/37-what-is-xfce-still-needing-to-be
http://tinyurl.com/2up7o3

Design your own desktop with Xfce 4.4 - part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| By popular demand, I decided to push the limits of Xfce’s customisability
| even further. This time, I would make it look like Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard”.
`----

http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/design-your-own-desktop-with-xfce-44-part-2/

Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release.
| After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very
| stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version
| ever.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=62

ReviewLinux.Com: Zenwalk 4.8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| A quick look at the new Zenwalk 4.8 released on October 6 2007. This
| Slackware based Linux OS was a pleasure to look at and test. Several images
| guide you through the install and a short flash video at the end to show you
| Zenwalk 4.8 in action.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7529

Getting more comfortable with Zenwalk ... and a touchy touchpad

,----[ Quote ]
| So all in all, I'm enjoying the $0 Laptop and Zenwalk. And my touchpad
| training.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/getting_more_comfortable_with.html

Screenshots of Zenwalk Linux 4.8 Beta.

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like XFCE is being used more often than expected. Just take a look
| at the result of the2007  Desktop Linux Survey. In this article I will show
| you lots of interesting screenshots of
|
| Zenwalk 4.8 Beta.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/190/1/

Releases : Zenwalk Live 4.6 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important change in 4.6 at the system level is the new tool chain,
| including Binutils-2.17.50, GCC 4.1 and Glibc-2.5, which hve been fully
| implemented. All libraries and applications have been compiled with this
| modern tool chain and benefit from the latest evolutions in GNU software and
| resulting binary optimizations.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=59

Releases : Zenwalk 4.6 is out

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce that Zenwalk 4.6 (code name
| "Red Pill") has been released.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=53

Zenwalk 4.2 -- There isn't anything mini about this distro anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall: I am honestly pleased to give this package a 4 Pennie review.
| The simplicity of the system, the functionality and way that Zenwalk
| keeps everything basic. There is no fluff to the system, there is no
| monster 4 Gig download, no extra packages that you will never, ever
| need. The team in France really has a gem. It does need a little
| polish on the installation, especially on the networking, which does
| require some insite, which hopefully we helped you understand. Now,
| it is hard to capture everything you need, so please look to the
| forums or here if you need additional support there. Other than that,
| the installation is pretty easy to follow given that it is a text
| based installer for a slackware system.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/13/zenwalk-42--there-isnt-anything-mini-about-this-distro-anymore.aspx

Zenwalk 4.6 Beta 1 Screenshot Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Main changes in this release are: kernel 2.6.21, with KVM support;
| a new toolchain, featuring a new glibc and GCC so that most
| packages have been rebuilt; Xfce 4.4.1 with new plugins and
| system notifications (for example, udev now send user notifications
| about hotplugged devices); Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0.0.0;
| many improvements in the base system and admin tools. You will
| notice that Zenwalk installer has been simplified a lot, making
| it one of the simplest setups available in the GNU/Linux world...
`----

http://osdir.com/Article9829.phtml

Zenwalk Live 4.4.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Making up Zenwalk Live 4.4.1 is the new ZenPanel utility for
| system administration, a complete development suite, and a
| variety of new games such as Mega Mario, Frozen Bubble, and
| LBreakout. Zenwalk Live is a LiveCD distribution that ships
| with Xfce 4 so that you may try out Zenwalk without even
| touching your hard drive.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=691&num=1

Xubuntu Gutsy Tribe 5 -- first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| I downloaded and burned the Xubuntu Gutsy Tribe 5 live CD and loaded it up. I
| realize that this is beta and not all the bugs are worked out, and with that
| criterion, things are working very well. But I'm left wondering "Why?"
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/08/xubuntu_gutsy_herd_5_first_imp.html

Xubuntu 7.04(Feisty Fawn) Screenshots Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Xubuntu is a complete GNU/Linux based operating system with an
| Ubuntu base. It is lighter on system requirements and tends to
| be more efficient than Ubuntu with GNOME or KDE, since it uses
| the Xfce Desktop environment, which makes it ideal for old or
| low-end machines, thin-client networks, or for those who would
| like to get more performance out of their hardware.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/xubuntu-704feisty-fawn-screenshots-tour.html

My first Linux experience: Overwhelmingly positive.

,----[ Quote ]
| I am totally satisfied with my Linux experience to this point.
| What these computers lack in power, they make up for in simplicity
| and ease of use. None has crashed, either. It seems to me that
| Linux is a viable solution for any educator with old, seemingly
| useless computers, and administrators shackled down by exorbitant
| licensing costs of running OS X or Windows on dozens or hundreds
| of machines ought to consider it as an alternative.
`----

http://scooterdman.newsvine.com/_news/2007/02/13/566477-my-first-linux-experience-overwhelmingly-positive
http://tinyurl.com/2mv5mm

Xubuntu offers appealing desktop alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| After spending a few days with Xubuntu I am pretty much hooked. I
| miss some of the flashier features of Gnome which I had become used
| to in Ubuntu but when I take into account the speed increases I have
| gained by switching to Xubuntu it is well worth it. A stock standard
| Xubuntu desktop is clean and neat and encourages me to keep it that
| way. I have had to install a few additional essential applications
| that I have come to rely on but with a base as light as Xubuntu
| this ought not to be a problem.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1360

Putting an old laptop to good use with Xubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The story would be complete here. Old hardware, modern Linux, no money
| spent. Isn't that what its all about? But there is more. I had a server
| that was built out of spare parts that had at one time been used for
| testing a new web server control panel. The testing was long over and
| I had reconfigured the machine to act as a small file server for me.
| I had gone as far as setting up a restricted access website for the
| file server, allowing me to get files via http as well as FTP. The
| power draw was around 85 watts on the box, which sat in a 2U case.
| The laptop only drew about 30 watts.
`----

http://corneliusroot.blogspot.com/2007/01/putting-old-laptop-to-good-use-with.html

Once I had everything I like installed and configured I've found Xubuntu

,----[ Conclusion ]
| Once I had everything I like installed and configured I've found Xubuntu
| to be truly a pleasure to use. It's user friendly for the newcomer and
| highly customizable for the experienced user. The basic application set
| on the single CD is, as expected, limited but I'd rather build up a
| distro with what I need and exclude what I don't need than try to remove
| cruft. Performance is the best I've seen in any current distro. Most of
| my complaints are nitpicking and in general Xubuntu Edgy Eft is as good
| as any Linux distribution I've used so far. Highly recommended.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/12/xubuntu_gets_edgy.html

Review: Xubuntu Gets Edgy

,----[ Conclusion ]
| Once I had everything I like installed and configured I've found
| Xubuntu to be truly a pleasure to use. It's user friendly for the newcomer
| and highly customizable for the experienced user. The basic application
| set on the single CD is, as expected, limited but I'd rather build up
| a distro with what I need and exclude what I don?t need than try to
| remove cruft. Performance is the best I've seen in any current distro.
| Most of my complaints are nitpicking and in general Xubuntu Edgy Eft
| is as good as any Linux distribution I've used so far.
| Highly recommended.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php/?m=show&id=4060

Desktops and Windows Managers - Part 2 - XFCE

,----[ Quote ]
| Other than those few shortcomings, or things of note, XFCE is a good desktop
| environment that, while a bit quirky in the way it does things, is still
| quite a good choice for anyone wanting a light weight desktop to meet their
| needs. If you'd like to try out this desktop environment and see what you
| think, I recommend downloading and trying out Sam Linux, a live cd version of
| PcLinuxOS 2007 configured to use the XFCE interface. Give it a try! It's
| worth the effort!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=269

Xfce 4.4: The best lightweight desktop environment

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, the lightweight Xfce has been a popular desktop environment
| for Linux distributions running on older hardware, thanks to its lower
| demand on resources as compared to KDE and GNOME; it's an ideal desktop
| for machines with less than 256MB of memory. Until recently, however,
| using Xfce was a little laborious, but with its latest release last
| month, Xfce is a much more usable desktop environment.

Open Source Desktop: Xfce's Advantages

,----[ Quote ]
| Most GNU/Linux users choose GNOME or KDE for desktops without
| thinking. However, many alternatives exist, ranging from minimalist
| graphic environments in window managers like IceWM to entire
| alternative desktops, such as ROX.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3668006

Good and Bad in XFCE

,----[ Quote ]
| Some time ago I was tagging Zenwalk Linux 2.8 as DWW's Featured
| Distribution of the Week...
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2051

Xfce 4.2.4 released

,----[ Quote ]
| This release is supposed to be the last release for the 4.2 branch.
| It includes several fixes ported from the current development
| branch. This release should not be confused with the upcoming
| Xfce 4.4 release.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/12602

Where are we going?