[News] [Rival] Microsoft Loses Developers, So It's Dumping Free (Gratis) Lockinware

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Loses Developers, So It's Dumping Free (Gratis) Lockinware
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:58:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[I know Andy C posted this, but here's more information:]

Microsoft to give out development tools to students

,----[ Quote ]
| Using a broadband connection, students can download Visual Studio,
| Microsoft's main development tools used by professional developers, and
| Expression Studio, design software that rivals Adobe Systems Inc's Creative
| Suite offering.
`----

http://africa.reuters.com/business/news/usnBAN924976.html

Gates to tap young minds

,----[ Quote ]
| Giving away Microsoft software also helps to ensure the next generation of
| code writers is well-versed in the Redmond, Wash., company's technology....
| Because they are minors and can't sign license agreements, high school
| students will have access to the tools only through their teachers.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8302312

it's like Office for students. As Gates puts it "they'll get sort of addicted
and we'll figure out how to collect." (some time when they graduate, already
locked in mentally and technically locked in). And Linux users are locked out
(excluded) from Silverlight. The EU has an antitrust probe on this...

Microsoft has been losing DEVELO~1 DEVELO~1 DEVELO~1 for years, based on Evans
Data surveys (over the years).

Related:

Survey: Windows loses ground with developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux gaining share as the number of developers targeting Windows falls
| 12 percent, Evans Data says
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/02/mswindows-share_1.html

Developers' use of open source Eclipse doubles

,----[ Quote ]
| The adoption rate of the open source Eclipse integrated development
| environment has more than doubled in the Europe, the Middle East and
| Africa region, industry analysts have revealed.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/12/12/220548/developers-use-of-open-source-eclipse-doubles.htm

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

Eclipse Is Still Going Strong

,----[ Quote ]
| In the intervening years, the Eclipse open-source development
| platform has grown well beyond the IDE space, branching out into
| areas such as reporting, modeling, AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript
| and XML) development, SOA (service-oriented architecture) tooling,
| RCP (rich-client platform) technology, team development, and
| support for other languages beyond Java.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061107/tc_zd/193207

Eclipse: A Billion-Dollar Baby?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Historically enterprise software has been sold through [a]
| direct salesforce channel. ... We're starting to see success
| in open source software products in areas which have been
| traditionally the realm of the direct salesforce. Those
| environments or those products have very, very low cost of
| sales, so as customers get more used to that, I think that
| over time, there are going to be fewer and fewer software
| salesmen."

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062807-linux-contributor-base.html

Study: Developers Favor Linux