Re: [News] As Microsoft Snubs Windows XP Petition, Some Look at GNU/Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 19 February 2008 07:53 : \____

>> ____/ RonB on Sunday 17 February 2008 20:52 : \____

>>> From the article:
>>>
>>> "Windows Vista was the reason I bought a Mac mini. I didn't want my only
>>> choices to be an operating system that would soon be obsolete (XP) or one
>>> that was buggy and would break much existing hardware (Vista), and I'm not
>>> enough of a geek to use Linux (do things from the command line?
>>> Puhleeze...)," wrote "Jack."
>>>
>>> Yeah, Linux users don't have KDE or Gnome or Xfce -- we're all just geeks
>>> who do everything from the command line. Hell, we don't even know what a
>>> mouse is.
>>>
>>> Talk about your straw men.
>>
>> Yes, I spotted that and I know the source of /that/ FUD. "It's only for
>> servers" is another meme.
>>

> The FUD generation teams *have* to keep spouting this misinformation,
> otherwise Mac users will try Ubuntu and move.

Their FUD/lies this month are centred around ODF/OOXML though, not Linux.

To use Microsoft's colourful phrase, if OOXML is intercepted, "Microsoft is
tilted into a death spiral."

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."
                --Bill Gates, Microsoft
Mem:    515500k total,   444668k used,    70832k free,      980k buffers