Re: [News] Compiz-Fusion Gets Brilliant Features Including KDE 4 and Wiimote Integration

* Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:22:48 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
>
>> The compiz-kde package contains kde-window-decorator,
>> and other kde integration related stuff
>>
>> .----
>>| The KDE Window Decorator is an alternate decorator provided by the
>>| Compiz Core package. It provides the utility of using your current
>>| KWin theme with Compiz. KDE Window Decorator requires KWin and
>>| other KDE components. KDE Window Decorator queries Compiz via DBUS
>>| for its settings.
>> `----
>>
>> http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Decorators/KDEWindowDecorator
>>
>> Seems clear enough to me.
>
> Why?  Why wouldn't KDE's window decorator work with Compiz without special
> "integration"?  Compiz is just a compositing engine with special effects.
> Shouldn't KWin and Compiz be doing different functions and not interfere
> with each other?

They have to coordinate their drawing activities, for one thing.

For another thing, Compiz (the compositing engine and window manager)
needs help from a window decorator.  There are three Window
decorators available, Gnome, KDE, and Emerald.

>> Of course if Fuddie understood that Compiz and X are separate entities,
>> then maybe he wouldn't be so easily confused. Obviously he's been
>> working with Windows for far too long, since he seems to have forgotten
>> the concept of modularity.
>
> Of course I understand that, which is precisely for my question.  If it's
> so modular, why does it need "integration"?

Because modules need to be "integrated" with the main engine.

So do all the plugins that can be "integrated" in.

That's kind of the point of modularity.

--
If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all
be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG.