[News] Big Media's Legalised Bribery (Lobbying) to Make ISPs Net Cops

  • Subject: [News] Big Media's Legalised Bribery (Lobbying) to Make ISPs Net Cops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:49:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
War on music piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said the Government was aware of the
| views put by the music industry for a code of conduct for ISPs to address
| file-sharing by subscribers.
|
| "We will also examine any UK legislation on this issue [including any
| three-strikes policy] with particular interest," he said.
|
| Music Industry Piracy Investigations general manager Sabiene Heindl said her
| organisation had been lobbying for the policy for 12 months.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/16/1202760662778.html

They use propaganda words like "piracy". Some journalists haven't fallen for
this scam yet. How many false positives will there be and how will the
Internet bill be affected? (or would rather)

Legalised bribery was also involved in the UK (see below).

Recent:

ISPs demand record biz pays up if cut-off P2P users sue

,----[ Quote ]
| ISPs are calling on the record industry to put its money where its mouth is
| on illegal file-sharing, by underwriting the cost of lawsuits brought by
| people who are wrongly accused of downloading or uploading music.
|
| [...]
|
| It's the latest public detail from long-running private negotiations that
| have hit mainstream media headlines today. The lobbying campaign to have
|                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| government force ISPs to disconnect persistent illegal file-sharers scored a
| victory with a leak to The Times. The draft government document says: "We
| will move to legislate to require internet service providers to take action
| on illegal file-sharing."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/12/anti_filesharing_paper_leak/

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet Service Providers Association said data protection laws would
| prevent providers from looking at the content of information sent over their
| networks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

MEPs debate tightening up lobbying rules

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://euobserver.com/9/25526

,----[ Quote ]
| "A source that deals with the company said unofficially that Gates
| proposed Microsoft's Digital Rights Management technology as a national
| standard to fight piracy at the governmental level."
`----

http://www.kommersant.com/p719683/r_528/

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109