Re: Make up your mind, Roy! (was Re: [News] Blu-ray Win a Death of Microsoft XBox, a Win to Linux-ready PS3)

In article <jt5n85-1jt.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> You're also conveniently forgetting that Blu-Ray is about more than just
> DRM'ed videos. It's also (I would argue, more importantly) about:
>
> . 50GB optical media

Which makes it better as a data backup media.  (Except writable media,
for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is half the pressed capacity).  I'd like
that--but on the other hand, it is hideously expensive (something like
$15 for a single rewritable disc).  Sure, prices will come down, but by
then, disks will have gotten even bigger, and a 25 gig Blu-Ray disc will
such as much for backups then as a 4.7 gig DVD does now.  So, I'm not
all that excited about the new optical formats, from a data point of
view.

> . It isn't a Microsoft product

Neither is HD-DVD.

> . It further undermines Microsoft's hideously broken exBorks

Nope.  XBox uses DVD.  They offer an add-on external HD-DVD drive,
purely for movies.  They can switch to Blu-Ray trivially.  (And you
don't even need the add-on drive to watch HD movies on XBox, because
they have a download service).

> . It's yet another brutal humiliation for Microsoft
> . Microsoft takes one more small step towards the grave

Nope.  See above.  They kept their options open.

> And as for "protected" content, what commercially released video content
> is /not/ protected by some mechanism or another? How is supporting one
> commercial film format over another the same as being "happy" about DRM?
>
> If (as is the case) I have to choose between one protected format over
> another, then naturally I'm going to choose the superior format, which
> in this case is clearly Blu-Ray ... by a mile. The industry agrees.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both have AACS.  In addition, Blu-Ray supports region
code, and it has a nice little thing called BD+.

Essentially, BD+ is a virtual machine in the player.  The disc can
contain executable code for that virtual machine.  Some things that code
can do:

* Check your player to detect tampering (such as hacks to bypass DRM).

* Run native code to do things like apply firmware patches to close
holes.

* Filter the audio and video data, to allow them to come up with
additional restrictions in the future.

So, given a choice between two formats that perform equally well for
movie delivery, and both have AACS, but one also has region codes, and
includes what amounts to an auto-run back-door that the movie studios
can use to patch your hardware without permission, you pick the later?

(In addition to that, HD-DVD discs cost a lot less to make, and the
Toshiba players ran Linux).

--
--Tim Smith