Re: [News] Bay Area Schools Continue to Receive GNU/Linux PCs

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:41:04 -0500, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>* Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Thumbs up  Massive F/OSS Installfest for Schools on Recycled Computers (March
>>> 1st)
>>
>> http://www.accrc.org/
>
>   We give free refurbished computers to schools, non-profit
>   organizations, and economically and/or physically disadvantaged
>   individuals. Although our computers are all old enough that they were
>   discarded by their previous owners, the ones that we refurbish are
>   still perfectly adequate for most home, school, and office
>   applications. Our refurbished systems all run a Free software
>   GNU/Linux operating system.
>
>Cool.
Good Show !

My mohter's church has a used computer action coming up
ina few months. I have 15 older working PCs from our business to
donate. All of them will get their harddrives wiped and then loaded
with Linux. These machines (mostly Socket "A", 800 MHz - 1.2 GHz, 256
meg memory) will do just fine for general office applications and
internet browsing. No Microsoft overkill here.

Totla cost for one of these machines...they usually auction off for
around $40.00.