[News] China Thinks Like FOSS and Linux, Microsoft Moves Operations to China

  • Subject: [News] China Thinks Like FOSS and Linux, Microsoft Moves Operations to China
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 07:40:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Doing Business in China? Be Aware of Different Cultural Beliefs, Red Hat Exec
Says

,----[ Quote ]
| “Knowledge should be free is a strong cultural belief in China,” said Red
| Hat’s former top executive in Beijing at a conference about globalization put
| on by the Council for Entrepreneurial Development.
`----

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/story/2443062/

“Knowledge should be free," they believe, but at the same time they censor.
Either way, it's an advantage for Red Hat when Microsoft does its cracksdowns
in China. Microsoft is gradually moving its workforce to Asia to reduce
operation costs, or so it would seem. Gates lies about technical skills in
America (it was proven by several studies that he lied) and advocates creating
jobs in China (last mentioned vocally several months ago). The next Windows is
being developed almost exclusively in India (fact). References appended below.

Related:

Microsoft India centre working on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Designers and engineers at Microsoft R&D centre in India have a new mandate
| for development of Windows 7, the next generation operating system from
| Microsoft Corporation, slated for release in 2009-10.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/microsoft-india-centre-workingwindows-7/09/56/296305

Bill Gates: The next great success will come from Asia

,----[ Quote ]
| According to him, Microsoft established its first research center
| in Asia about 10 years ago and currently is spending 60 percent
| of its research and development budget in Asia.
`----

http://english1.people.com.cn/200704/22/eng20070422_368644.html

Bill Gates says West not supplying enough IT talent

,----[ Quote ]
| A shortage of information technology graduates from Western universities is
| leading companies to call on developing countries to meet research demand,
| Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said on Tuesday.
`----

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-11-07T174625Z_01_L07799513_RTRUKOC_0_US-MICROSOFT-TALENT.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C5-technologyNews-2
http://tinyurl.com/u9bux

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking before a Senate committee earlier this month, Gates said
| that America is facing a critical shortage of tech workers. He
| recommended boosting the number of H-1B visas to allow more foreign
| tech workers into the U.S.
|
| [...]
|
| "I think that has created an environment where the population of advanced
| skill workers has shrunk a lot in the U.S., because we just haven't created
| a fair system," he says. "Where if you go to other countries, you'll find
| national policy around broadband deployment, which creates a much more even
| playing field for people of all income levels to learn by and work by."
|
| "We did it to ourselves," he says.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376

Microsoft Sending All XP and Vista Tech Support Calls To India?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is sending ALL of its XP and Vista tech support calls to India
| starting March 29th, according to a call center insider
`----

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/microsoft/microsoft-sending-all-xp-and-vista-tech-support-calls-to-india-245048.php

"Dear Microsoft": An open letter to Microsoft regarding the outsourcing of
jobs.

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't get it twisted: I don't have a problem with you outsourcing
| jobs to people that will work for next-to-nothing. It's just
| getting a bit out of hand, don't you think? I mean, there's no
| point trying to fool me.
`----

http://www.lastnameball.com/RantsandTirades/Pages/DearMicrosoft.html

Bill Gates to address Senate panel

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to descend on Capitol Hill
| next week to pepper a U.S. Senate committee with his suggestions for
| boosting American competitiveness.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6163930.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Red Hat sees greater China rev up 50 pct in FY09

,----[ Quote ]
| But healthy demand from enterprise clients means the region is likely to far
| outstrip total revenue growth these two years, and Red Hat hopes to capture
| that by opening another eight testing centres in mainland China within the
| next six months, Hu told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCNTSHA13707720080130?rpc=44

Red Hat Advances Global Community for Collaborative Innovation in China

| Under the OSCI Initiative, Mr. Whitehurst conferred Red Hat certification on
| 30 independent software vendors (ISVs) of Red Hat solutions and unveiled a
| Red Hat ISV Solution Center in Beijing. The ISVs, from different regions
| across China, are involved in the development of software solutions for a
| wide range of industries, including finance, healthcare and manufacturing.
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/features/psecom,id,1727,nodeid,1,_language,Singapore.html

Beijing: Red Hat opens two facilities

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat has launched a testing and certification facility in Beijing, China,
| as well as opened another research and development (R&D) center in the
| Chinese state.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62036830,00.htm

Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
| sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
| 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
| have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
| Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
| interview.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926:MTFH04213_2006-09-26_06-26-12_SHA306441&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

Red Hat VP Michael Chen: Building a Strategy for China

,----[ Quote ]
| The soft-spoken Chen, 36, was recently promoted to Red Hat's vice president
| for corporate marketing. He returned to Raleigh, where he also received a
| master's degree from N.C. State University. Chen talked about the transition
| last week. An edited transcript follows.

China's Linux desktop market booms

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chinese government's antipiracy movement has had an effect. After the
| central government published two regulations last year to force its
| departments and local governments to stop using pirated software, the
| government has increased its spending on low-cost Linux desktop software.
| Last year, the antipiracy movement focused mainly on senior province and city
| governments, but this year it filtered into the junior village and town
| governments as well -- areas that previously relied on pirated software.
| Currently, the government is responsible for purchasing accounts for more
| than one quarter of China's Linux desktop software market, and the homegrown
| Red Flag Linux leads the government market.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122473

Linux gains ground in China

,----[ Quote ]