[News] Linus Torvalds Exceptionally Pleased with the Latest Linux Kernel

  • Subject: [News] Linus Torvalds Exceptionally Pleased with the Latest Linux Kernel
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:38:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
2.6.25-rc2, "A Winner"

,----[ Quote ]
| "Ok, this kernel is a winner," began Linux creator Linus Torvalds, playfully
| announcing the 2.6.25-rc2 kernel which gained the name "Funky Weasel is Jiggy
| wit it".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.25-rc2_A_Winner

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                                    --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Windows Vista's kernel is teh b0rken. See recent story below.

Recent:

Microsoft replaces Vista kernel in SP1

,----[ Quote ]
| Well the answer is yes it has, and presumably the main reason for Microsoft’s
| silence on the subject is that as they’re keen to promote the improvements
| and enhancements to Vista, rather than placing emphasis on a kernel upgrade,
| which some people might see as a risk of newly-introduced instability.
`----

http://apcmag.com/7960/microsoft_replaces_the_vista_kernel_in_SP1

Related:

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

Linux: Poetry in Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Morton noted that he would consider the documentation patches for
| inclusion in the 2.6.23 kernel, to which Rusty replied, "indeed, no code
| changes, and I feel strongly that it should go into 2.6.23 because it's
| *fun*. And (as often complained) there's not enough poetry in the kernel."
| Linus Torvalds quipped, "there's a reason for that," going on to
| rhyme, "there once was a lad from Braidwood, with a wife and a hatred for
| FUD, he hacked kernels for fun, couldn't get them to run, but he always felt
| that he should." He added,
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/13992

Linux contributor base broadens