[News] OOXML "Irregularities Website" Available for EU Investigators

  • Subject: [News] OOXML "Irregularities Website" Available for EU Investigators
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:29:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Bam! Comical Creese debunks OpenDocumentFormat Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| You are free to inspect the irregularities website that documents few cases
| reported by the online press and blogs. We got much more reports on an
| informal base per email. The Swedish single employee story is not credible,
| actually committee stuffing took place in Sweden.
|
|     On loopholes, that’s another subjective call, but since Microsoft
|     competitors managed to establish control over a standards initiative with
|     potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoft’s most important
|     business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft (legitimately,
|     albeit with what some consider to be poor standards etiquette) exploited
|     the loopholes. As we noted, we assume ISO will update its procedures to
|     eliminate the loopholes in the future.
|
| What?
|
|     Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
|     initiative…
|
| What?
|
|     Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
|     initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoft’s most
|     important business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft …
|     exploited the loopholes.
|
| ???
|
|     but since Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a
|     standards initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of
|     Microsoft’s most important business domains, we are not surprised that
|     Microsoft (legitimately, albeit with what some consider to be poor
|     standards etiquette) exploited the loopholes.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41447/bam-comical-creese-debunks-opendocumentformat-alliance

Related:

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

,----[ Quote ]
| He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
| instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
| faced now?"
|
| His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
| for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
| quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
| standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
| international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
| through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!"
`----            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/09/microsoft-tech-.html

Microsoft corruption in Uruguay:

http://picandocodigo.linuxuruguay.org/index.php/2007/08/29/uruguay-vota-si-al-ooxml/

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
| in protest - pissed off."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=686119

Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| He acknowledges that the rules might need to be changed.

The OOXML Problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Another thing, by introducing a "new fancy" document format, MS can hold a
| tighter grip round existing customers and get more on the false pretence that
| they've "opened up".
`----

http://phun-ky.net/2007/08/the-ooxml-problem

Rejecting OOXML