[News] [Rival] Vista 'Improvement' Attempts Focused on Brainwash, Marketing, Incentives

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Vista 'Improvement' Attempts Focused on Brainwash, Marketing, Incentives
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:52:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft battles Vista perception issues with $15,000 prize

| In what can only be described as an act of utter desperation to overcome
| Vista’s mostly negative public perception issues, Microsoft Australia has put
| together an online “Fact or Fiction” quiz all about Windows Vista. Every
| person who enters gets a certificate of completion and, if you are an OEM
| system builder, you get a Windows Vista Advisor polo shirt too. Ah the
| temptation is overwhelming and I sense the greed welling up within you.
`----

http://apcmag.com/8017/microsoft_battles_vista_perception_issues_15_000_prize

Related:

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
| the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
| Vista licences are yet to deploy the software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Windows-Vista-Sold-but-not-deployed/0,130061733,339284495,00.htm

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Vista.
| ^^^^^
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/will_windows_vi.html

Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial
| release of any Windows product that didn't have at least some problems.
|
| [...]
|
| Still, given that Vista is essentially a rewrite of XP meant to enhance
|                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| security (and, of course, media features), I'm not surprised to see Microsoft
| take this route for the service pack.

Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista not for pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Although, unlike previous Windows versions, Vista is not available as an
| activation-free version, a number of more or less effective methods were
| quickly found to run Vista without activation. However, this is soon to end.
| According to Microsoft, Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista closes two
| vulnerabilities which previously enabled operation of Vista without a
| license.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/100006/from/rss09

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image.
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Vista SP1 won't sacrifice security for compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 will include a significant number of "proactive" security changes,
| DeVaan said. These do not represent fixes for specific vulnerabilities,
| instead they represent Microsoft's efforts to head off potential threats.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14224&Itemid=1054

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial
| release of any Windows product that didn't have at least some problems.
|
| [...]
|
| Still, given that Vista is essentially a rewrite of XP meant to enhance
|                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| security (and, of course, media features), I'm not surprised to see Microsoft
| take this route for the service pack.

Microsoft credits Project for "Tech's all-time flop" Award

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the InfoWorld published their list of "Tech's all-time top 25
| flops".  When the bodies were counted, the worst software flop of all time
| went to Vista.
`----

http://www.vcsonline.com/GoodStuff/BlogProjectManagementSoftwarePMS/tabid/61/EntryID/20/Default.aspx

10 Worst Tech Products of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista: Where to begin? Vista arrived in stores months late, forced
| untold thousands of users to upgrade their hardware, made mincemeat of
| software and drivers that worked perfectly well in XP, ended up lacking many
| of the bold-faced features we'd been promised, and came saddled with new and
| annoying set of video DRM schemes. At least Vista now boasts an option for
| downgrading back to XP.
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/9908

The 15 Biggest Tech Disappointments of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| #1. No Wow, No How: Windows Vista
|
| Five years in the making and this is the best Microsoft could do?
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140583-page,5-c,techindustrytrends/article.html

Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech products of all
time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9823042-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad