[News] Microsoft "Interoperability" Claims Rubbished by Mac User

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft "Interoperability" Claims Rubbished by Mac User
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:32:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OOXML — The Apple Headache

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, I will like to point out that the format of documents produced
| by Microsoft Office 2007 is not OOXML (Ecma 376). Microsoft Office 2007
| documents contains, according to my sources, many elements not specified in
| Ecma 376, such as binary code, macros, OLE objects, ActiveX, DRM and
| SharePoint metadata.
|
| [...]
|
| I do not own a license for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, and I will not buy
| one either. It might be possible to open documents produced by Microsoft
| Office 2008 for Mac with iWork ‘08, iPhone or NeoOffice, but that is
| irrelevant. One of the major points with interoperability, is vendor
| independence. If I have to buy a license for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac,
| Microsoft has succeeded in creating a standard so difficult — not to say
| impossible — to implement, that users will have to buy Microsoft’s software.
|
| As a final statement, I would like to point out that the allegations on OOXML
| beeing implemented in iWork ‘08, iPhone and NeoOffice are wrong.
`----

http://notebook.bekkelund.net/2008/02/13/ooxml-%E2%80%94-the-apple-headache/

Related:

Microsoft Breaks the [ODF] Plugins

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is having trouble because Microsoft is breaking interoperability
| deliberately through hi-jinks with the Dynamic-Link Libraries ("dll") in
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/08/microsoft-break.html

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]