[News] Novell Welcomes Microsoft to Linux Conference Invasion

  • Subject: [News] Novell Welcomes Microsoft to Linux Conference Invasion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 05:44:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source breaking barriers

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, though the two approaches hold on to their principles, they see a need
| to co-exist. That was the strong message that emerged from this year’s Open
| Source Week India — one of the largest open source event held at Bangalore,
| started by Forum for Open Source Initiative in India (FOSI).
|
| [...]
|
| Surely, the presence of Microsoft, viewed as the chief proponent of
| proprietary model, in the event is the sign that times are changing. Sandeep
| Menon, Country Manager, Novell India, points to the collaboration his company
| has got with Microsoft that allows Windows and Suse Linux to become
| interoperable with Windows platform, particularly in enterprise segment. “A
| few years ago, any suggestion to this effect would have been laughed off,”
| said Sandeep.
`----

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Feb132008/cyberspace2008021251906.asp

Related:

"Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

,----[ Quote ]
| Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
| MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

Novell's .Net moment

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell has struggled to compete in the open-source world. Combining with
| Microsoft hasn't helped. So why not, as Dave suggests, link up with
| Microsoft's .Net code to build an ecosystem around it that would complement
| Microsoft's own efforts to do so?
|
| [...]
|
| Let's face it: there are still hordes of developers out there who love
| Microsoft and would probably prefer to create open-source projects
| around .Net instead of Java or the LAMP stack. Novell could orchestrate this
| since Microsoft appears to have a PR problem with doing so.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9867460-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Novell: 'No One Can Stop Us From Selling Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| It was reported that those changes would preclude the inclusion of Linux in
| third party distribution deals such as the one Novell recently signed with
| Microsoft and "ban" Novell from selling future versions of Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197003452&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

All sides of the debate?

,----[ Quote ]
| How many sides are there in the OOXML debate? What if all sides are Microsoft
| and Microsoft business partners?
|
| [...]
|
| Dough Mahugh (Microsoft) :
|
|     Next week's XML 2007 conference in Boston features speakers from all
|     sides of the document format debate, including a document interop session
|     with Miguel de Icaza (Novell) and Vijay Rajagopalan (Microsoft) that I
|     expect will offer a lively discussion around Open XML, ODF, and XML-based
|     interoperability in general.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29108/all-sides-of-the-debate

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
| .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
| later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
| the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
| make public?
|
| [...]
|
| And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
| the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
| best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
| he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
| proprietary company's side to his side!!!
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11081&Itemid=1091

Available Now: OpenOffice.org Novell Edition for Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/03/13/ooo-novell-edition-now-available-for-windows/