[News] PS3 Makes Good Gains in Europe After Beating Microsoft's HD DVD

  • Subject: [News] PS3 Makes Good Gains in Europe After Beating Microsoft's HD DVD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 03:29:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
PS3 hits 1 million in UK in record PlayStation time

,----[ Quote ]
| After a horror stretch of two or so years, which saw battery recalls, PS3
| production delays, an outcry over the high price of the new console, and a
| slow sales ramp up, things look like they might be looking up for Sony. The
| PS3 is steadily gaining momentum and Blu-ray looks to have won the HD video
| format war thanks largely to the increasing installed base of the PS3.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16627/1063/

Related:

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Ubuntu Linux and Symfony on a PlayStation 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Running linux on a playstation 3 is not a hack, it doesn’t require any
| hardware modification, won’t disable any feature on your Playstation 3 and is
| not difficult to do.
|
| Sony officially support running linux on your ps3 with dedicated tools
| present in the XMB ( Cross-mediabar, the UI of the Playstation 3).
`----

http://demenzia.net/2007/08/21/linux-and-symfony-on-a-ps3/

One million PS3s in distributed computing network

,----[ Quote ]
| More than one million PlayStation 3 owners have registered as participants in
| the Folding@home project. This milestone was achieved in eleven months.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16481/1063/

PS3 gets back into black

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to increased volumes and reduced costs, the PlayStation 3 console is at
| last returning a profit for Sony.  The future is looking even brighter in the
| video game segment.
|
| All three gaming console manufacturers are now making profits on hardware.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16410/1063/

Sony CEO says sales going well, watching yen

,----[ Quote ]
| "PS3 has now gone past XBox on the Christmas market. It's moving into its own
| as it gets into higher bandwidth ... PS3 is out of the woods and beginning to
| hold its own," he said. The PS3 initially trailed rivals, due to the Sony
| machine's high price and an initial scarcity of strong software titles. But
| PS3 demand has shown some signs of picking up since the company cut prices
| and launched a new version.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9584_22-6227678.html

Video Game Consoles 2007: Wii, PS3 and the Death of Microsoft's Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/01/31/video-game-consoles-2007-wii-ps3-and-the-death-of-microsofts-xbox-360/#more-1531

,----[ Quote ]
| It's weird that Mini and all the commenters here have failed to notice the
| mass exodus from the Xbox team in 2007. By my count, more than 15% of the
| product team (dev/PM/test) have left Microsoft for Apple, Sony, Google,
| Yahoo, MySpace, Amazon, and various other companies (including several
| startups, local and in the Valley).
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/01/raikes-and-other-exits.html

Terra Soft Releases YDL v6.0 for Apple PowerPC, Sony PS3, IBM System P

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2008/2008-02-05.shtml