Re: [News] Survey: Microsoft Office Monopoly Eroding, Gauged at Just 66% Installed Base

John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:51:49 +0000, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> ____/ John Locke on Monday 11 February 2008 21:02 : \____

>>> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=475&blogid=14

>>> This has just been acknowledged by Microsoft which set it's Office Live (read:
>>> Google catchup) free, despite the fact that a Microsoft manager said there was
>>> poor demand for it. It was roughly 4 months ago.
>>>
>>> OOXML is Microsoft's attempt to survive the Web era, making documents and
>>> programs incompatible unless they are from Microsoft.
>>>

>>Several SME people I know are now using Google office and calendaring
>>and mail, essentially, they've moved their office support software
>>entirely to google's hosted services.  I think that all the hassles
>>associated with running these things locally are just too much for most
>>people.
> It an option other then the Microsoft expensive overkill solution.
> Good for them !

Apparently, it's saved them shiploads of cash on licensing and time.
Previously, they have been using openoffice, but found that the hosted
solution was even less hassle than the locally supported solution.