[News] Nokia Talks About GNU/Linux Strategy

  • Subject: [News] Nokia Talks About GNU/Linux Strategy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:05:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Interview with Nokia's Olli Toivanen

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: What made you decide to use an open source platform instead of Symbian or
| some other OS?
| Olli: Our goal was to miniaturize some of the traditional uses of a full size
| PC - but also speed up innovation to converge new applications to a
| handset-sized device. For this goal, GNOME/Linux technology (on ARM) fits
| very well -- both from a developer standpoint, as well as from a
| technological performance perspective. S60 is an extremely good technology
| for the type of products that we use it for, and as such, it has a strong
| position within the telecom industry.
|
| Q: From the outside, it looks like the N series has been a bit of a
| skunkworks project inside of Nokia. What was it like on the inside?
| Olli: I am proud of the work we have done within the Nseries team. It has
| established itself as the leader in technologically advanced mobile devices,
| and these devices have become an important part of Nokia's product portfolio.
| Our studies show that N series buyers really use the full range of features
| of the devices, which is fantastic. It validates the concept of convergence.
|
| Internally, we have a real cool spirit of innovation. When it comes to Linux,
| it is no exception - the Internet Tablet allows us a lot of room to play and
| build new things together with companies and developers who are interested in
| Linux. Innovating at large company is relatively easy as long as it's
| sponsored at management level - and in our case it certainly is so.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/02/interview_with_1.html

Trolltech delivers Qt WebKit

| Trolltech said Qt with WebKit integration enables developers to build common
| applications for traditional desktops and mobile devices. It also said WebKit
| complies with the main internet technologies including HTML, XHTML, CSS,
| JavaScript, SVG and AJAX.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/12/trolltech_webkit/

Related:

KDE on the IT

| KDE and all it's supporting programs have been compiled for the Internet
| Tablet, and it works b-e-a-utifully. I've installed this sucker on my N770
| and it purrs like a kitten, believe it or not ;)
`----

http://geekpenguin.blogspot.com/2007/09/kde-on-it.html

Run the Palm OS on your Nokia Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The Garnet VM Beta for Nokia Nseries was created by ACCESS, who is the
| company that bought PalmSource. You can now run virtually all your favorite
| Palm OS applications on the Nokia Internet Tablets and I can’t wait to try
| out a few of my favorite apps.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=683

30,000 Palm apps coming to Nokia webpads