[News] Torvalds Explains Why It's C in the Linux Kernel

  • Subject: [News] Torvalds Explains Why It's C in the Linux Kernel
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:05:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Torvalds: Stick to C for kernel coding

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have certain rules for what we expect [from] our programmers", Torvalds
| told ZDNet.com.au, "The kernel is about low level stuff, and C, for the
| kernel, is the right language."
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Torvalds-Stick-to-C-for-kernel-coding/0,130061733,339285844,00.htm?feed=rss

Also new:

Torvalds: Contributors' boss is not my concern

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds has revealed he sometimes doesn't even know those involved in
| Linux work for.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Torvalds-Contributors-boss-is-not-my-concern/0,130061733,339285788,00.htm

Related and recent:

Torvalds: Microsoft is bluffing on patents

,----[ Quote ]
| "...They have been sued for patents by other people, but I don't think
| they've -- not that I've gone through any huge amount of law cases -- but I
| don't think they've generally used patents as a weapon," Torvalds said. "But
| they're perfectly happy to use anything at all as fear, uncertainty and doubt
| in the marketplace, and patents is just one thing where they say, 'Hey, isn't
| this convenient? We can use this as a PR force.'"
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's recent work around improving its platform's interoperability with
| Linux left Torvalds largely unmoved.
|
| "I think there are people inside Microsoft who really want to improve
| interoperability and I also think there are people inside Microsoft who would
| much rather just try to stab their competition in the back," he said. "I
| think the latter class of people have usually been the one[s] who won out in
| the end, but -- so I wouldn't exactly trust them."
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/020408-torvalds-microsoft-is-bluffing-on.html

Recent:

The Complex Crux Of Wireless Warfare

,----[ Quote ]
| Boeing and the Army said they chose not to use Microsoft's proprietary
| software because they didn't want to be beholden to the company. Instead,
| they chose to develop a Linux-based operating system based on publicly
| available code.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/23/AR2008012303695.html

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html