Re: [News] [Rival] Yahoo Turns Away to AOL, Snubs Frantic Microsoft

____/ John Locke on Monday 11 February 2008 20:45 : \____

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:12:25 -0500, Jerry McBride
> <jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Yahoo is seeking to restart merger talks with AOL: report
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

>>http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bFCE1E582-9291-4CB2-9A88-DE8D455E5E18%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
>>
>>This must all be very embarrassing for msft to go through... I wonder how
>>many chairs are now rendered useless?
>>
>>HEHE
>>
>>Come on Yahoo! Toss another 4 billion into the demand and make it 56
>>billion... Please.....
> Its definitely not a good situation for Microsoft. They need internet
> market share that Yahoo would provide but at the same time the
> stockholders are having second thoughts.
>
> When the dust clears, I would imagine there will be a Google/Yahoo
> merger/deal of some sort. That would make Google the 800 pound
> gorilla that Microsoft so fears.

They'll outsource and share traffic/ads. It will bring benefit to both. Nothing
hostile. Either way, this looks bad for Microsoft, which despite the massive
buyback has just lost a Yahoo (~$40 billion) in market cap. I haven't looked
at the numbers recently, but I reckon that Google's market cap isn't far from
surpassing Microsoft. It's already past IBM's.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie