Re: [News] GPU Driver Installation in GNU/Linux Smooth & Easy

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 11 February 2008 10:12 : \____

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/02/08/flipping-the-linux-switch-envy-no-longer-a-deadly-sin/

>> 10 days in linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| # Always use envy to install your drivers. For whatever reason, the default
>>| restricted installer doesn?t install a very good driver.
>> `----
>>
>> http://meg-tech.com/?p=62
>>
>> OpenSolaris Ships RadeonHD Driver
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Since last September when AMD's new open-source strategy was unveiled,
>>| their xf86-video-radeonhd driver and NDA-free documentation efforts have
>>| largely been to improve its Linux customer base. However, with this open
>>| community enablement, it has also led to an improved ATI hardware status in
>>| Sun's Solaris Operating System. Introduced in Build 80 of OpenSolaris was
>>| the RadeonHD display driver and this R500/600 driver has now appeared in
>>| Solaris Express Developer Edition 1/08 and Project Indiana Preview 2.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=996&num=1
>>

> I still find it hard to understand why the graphics cards vendors
> refused to support many operating systems.  This can only have resulted
> in reduced sales.

There is always the possibility that they received incentives to ignore all but
one platform. There are past cases which prove this, but I'm not sure about
GPUs. Rex would know.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie