[News] Free Software Success Hinged on Semantics

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Success Hinged on Semantics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:43:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source vs. Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Blame it on semantics
|
| In 1998, the term "open source" was coined by a group of developers attending
| O'Reilly's Freeware Summit. Developers and leaders of some of the most
| influential free and open-source projects convened to discuss the confusion
| surrounding the sometimes synonymous terms open source, free software and
| freeware. It seemed early on that the public was having trouble understanding
| that businesses often stood behind open-source projects and that paid
| services were sometimes necessary. Despite this long history, the confusion
| surrounding the cohabitation of open source and business remains.
|
| [...]
|
| The next time you find yourself using a piece of open-source software, think
| about the thousands of hours that dozens of people contributed so you could
| use it for free. Consider purchasing those services from that business to
| support its effort. And always remember, it's an open-source project, not an
| open-source business.
`----

http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.aspx?scr=n&NID=2015&cat=FEATURES&pub=COMPUTER%20NEWS%20MIDDLE%20EAST&k=linux
%20open%20source

Related:

Management 'scared' by open source

,----[ Quote ]
| And the suits are resorting to play-it-safe legal advice and
| draconian management techniques in a vain attempt to stop open
| source crossing their frontier. Tactics include blocking popular
| sites like SourceForge and banning use of USB drives.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/03/09/open_source_licensing/

Too late to discredit open source, advocates say

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's too late," exclaimed Winston Damarillo, founder and
| chairman of software development firm Exist Global, in an
| interview with Computerworld Philippines. "Open source
| is all over the place."
|
| [...]
|
| Anson Uy, president of Touch Solutions (a Red Hat Linux company),
| earlier on broke the news to Computerworld Philippines about the
| alleged "funded missions" by some software firms to discredit open
| source, although he did not identify any company.
|
| Anson revealed among the top three actions against FOSS are being
| done through "sponsored studies, piracy of open source developers,
| and bold press releases."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/030607-too-late-to-discredit-open.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2bj969