Re: by Scot Colford

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:09:20 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that the zak spake thusly:
>
>>> Digital Rights Management
>>>
>>> February 7th, 2008 by Scot Colford
>>>
>>> We often get questions about why people can't download OverDrive
>>> audio books or video to their iPods. Or sometimes, users are
>>> unhappy that they cannot preserve that downloaded material on their
>>> computers forever. Well, the Boston Public Library does not
>>> necessarily own the material you download -- we license it. Part of
>>> the agreement that allows us to license the material is the use of
>>> Digital Rights Managment (DRM). DRM is a software add-on that
>>> prevents digital files from being copied and redistributed, just
>>> like the software that prevents you from copying a DVD or a
>>> commercial VHS tape.
>
> And what DRM do they have in place to prevent people from copying the
> physical books that they borrow, with a scanner or even just copying
> them down with a pen and paper?
>
> The ultimate hypocrisy of copyrights on any form of media, be it films;
> books; or music, is that everyone who consumes these works immediately
> violates its copyright, merely by consuming the publish work. If one
> thinks of the human mind as a storage device (which in part, it is),
> then simply watching a film; reading a book; or listening to music
> produces a copy of that material in the mind, which can be "reproduced"
> in words or in hard copy. Indeed this was the historical basis for
> preserving culture orally through stories, that has now been perverted
> into the neon-lit world of slime called Hollywood, where stories are now
> only as worthy as their box-office takings.
>
> So once someone has read a book, then the knowledge contained therein
> has /already/ been transferred. Attempting to control the dissemination
> of that knowledge with technology and the law, is gross perversion and
> utterly pointless. The principle has already been broken at the first
> point of contact.
>
> If public libraries are going to start restricting access to their
> books, then they might as well all close down and reopen as book shops,
> because that is essentially what they'll become ... the guardians of
> commercially licensed "Intellectual Property", rather than places of
> free access to information.
>
> Next time you read a book, or watch a film, or listen to music, please
> make sure that you undertake a course of electro-shock therapy, and get
> a lobotomy to purge that infringing material from your mind. Don't
> discuss the material with anyone, never write about it in a diary or
> blog, never sing a copyrighted song to yourself in the bath, and never
> again even think about that copyrighted material, for fear of violating
> some poor millionaire Intellectual Property holder's precious "rights".
>
>> Introducing DRM changes the line between what is your own, and what
>> belongs to the Englobulators.
>
> The Englobulators may think they /own/ knowledge, but a man's /mind/ is
> [...]

Hey Scott,

Meet [Homer] and Roy Schestowitz along with Mark Kent who should be chiming
in shortly.

As you can see, these three are a little bit unstable and have some twisted
view that everything on earth should be given away for free.

Yet, they don't even practice what they preach.

[Homer] for example has a statistics program that everyone knows is totally
bogus. He will not release the source code to this program.
Yet he expects others to give away their source code.
A total hypocrite.

Then we have Roy Schestowitz, whose posts I am certain you see here by the
thousands.
Roy was caught using copyrighted graphics on his web site and even when
asked to remove them by the author he delayed and lagged before he actually
removed them.
He is yet another total phony.

Make Kent is just plain twisted.
He believes that there is no such thing as intellectual property.
Words haven't been invented yet that can describe Mark Kent.

Also, I will advise you that if your library system starts having troubles,
look to the radical, zealot Linux community for the source because these
guys mean business with this crusade they are on.

I would hope that Apple Mac support will be forthcoming because that is a
market that is growing by leaps and bounds, unlike the Linux desktop market
which most studies put at around 0.6 percent.

Best of luck!

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: