[News] Open Source India Week Starts Today

  • Subject: [News] Open Source India Week Starts Today
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 00:30:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source conference

| Bangalore: The two-day Bangalore leg of Open Source India Week (OSIW) starts
| on February 11 at the Indian Institute of Science. The event, featuring Linux
| and other Open Source platforms and applications, will also include Techzone,
| which will have workshops and technical sessions, mobile phone solutions,
| open source solutions for the disabled and sessions on entrepreneurship.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/10/stories/2008021055390500.htm

Related:

BOSS 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally our Indian Version of GNU/Linux is released on 17th September 2007 in
| the Connect 2007 program.
`----

http://bosslinux.in/boss-release

BOSS in Linux from C-DAC

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux was made specifically for the Indian environment, it consists of a
| pleasing desktop environment coupled with Indian language support and other
| packages that are most relevant for use in the government domain.
`----

http://youvibe.blogspot.com/2007/09/boss-in-linux-from-c-dac.html

BOSS Linux makes new users feel at home

,----[ Quote ]
| First-time Linux users should find BOSS pretty usable; its selection of
| applications and ability to work with Bluetooth devices, mount other
| partitions on the disk, and share files across the network, out of the box,
| make it a good distro for first-time Linux users.
`----

http://www.linux.com/articles/60764

BOSS Tarang 1.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux, based in India, is trying to be the first Linux
| distribution trying to support all official languages of India.
| It does also support English which is also being used more in
| that country.
`----

http://gnuman.com/distros/boss_tarang_1.1_review.html

Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
| governments keen on adopting this technology.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Red_Hat_in_talks_with_states_for_open_source_solution/rssarticleshow/2283777.cms

Time for a switch?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is powerful, easy to use and free. Naturally, it’s becoming the
| Operating System of choice for many internet aficionados.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pune_Times/Time_for_a_switch/articleshow/2257068.cms

C-DAC Releases Five New Products at Elitex 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| C-DAC’s commitment towards bridging the digital divide with Free and Open
| Source Software has crossed another major milestone with the release of
| Bharat Operating Systems Solutions (BOSS) Server Version, which can be used
| in the Government departments as an Intranet Server. The BOSS Linux Server
| has several valuable features that includes a user-friendly GUI Front end
| that has Fire fox, Thunderbird and also supports printers and USB devices
| such as cameras. Presently it supports Intel and AMD x86/x86-64 architecture
| and is being tested on other architectures. Another key feature of BOSS Linux
| is the ability to remotely control the server. BOSS Linux Server is mainly
| targeted towards Government departments / SME’s and also towards Linux distro
| (distribution) developers for further development on Linux.
`----

http://www.businesswireindia.com/PressRelease.asp?b2mid=14841

Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

,----[ Quote ]
| They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
| systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
| Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
| release here said.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200707052027.htm

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu, India is the Information Technology
| arm of Government of TamilNadu, India. ELCOT is a fully owned Government
| Company. ELCOT migrated all its operations to suse linux OS within a
| period of 12 months. This video shares the success story of ELCOT in
| the suse linux migration (June 2007)
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc

Laptops for kids? Geeks, language developers are interested

,----[ Quote ]
| "The deployment is two months old and the parents, children and teachers are
| very enthusiastic about this project," reported "Venky", as he is known in
| geek circles.
|
| Others wanted to know where they could buy the made-for-children laptop in
| India. "Would somebody tell me where do I purchase OLPC in India?" asked
| Nataraj S. Narayan via the online network.
`----

http://indiainteracts.com/gossip/2008/02/08/12941/Laptops-for-kids-Geeks-language-developers-are-interested/

One Laptop Per Child Gets The Green Light in India

,----[ Quote ]
| India may have been a late starter in adopting the powerful computer-based
| education program One Laptop Per Child (popularly known as OLPC), a
| brainchild of MIT professor Nicholas Negroponte to bridge the technology
| divide between rich and the poor children in the developing world.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/216153?topic=118264

One laptop per child finds way into India

,----[ Quote ]
| The one laptop per child (OLPC) project, a brainchild of MIT professor
| Nicholas Negroponte, will soon find its way into Indian homes.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/Hardware/One_laptop_per_child_finds_way_into_India/articleshow/2583239.cms

$100 laptop program still eyes India

,----[ Quote ]
| The so-called $100 laptops for children may make it to India after all.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/10/25/100.laptop.india.ap/index.html

OLPC makes its entry into India - finally!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/11/olpc-makes-its-entry-into-india-finally.html