Re: [News] Boston Public Library Sells Out to the Monopolist, Blocks Mac and Linux Users

____/ Matt on Sunday 10 February 2008 19:14 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Protest DRM at the Boston Public Library
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | the BPL [Boston Public Library] has launched a new service powered by a
>> | company called OverDrive. The system gives BPL patrons access to books,
>> | music, and movies online -- but only if they use a Microsoft DRM system.
>
>> http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20080207-00
>>
>> Someone ought to investigate this. The government should intervene because
>> it's a public facility.
>
> It's not all bad.  I expect the backlash from thousands of Mac users and
> hundreds of Linux users will have anti-MS effects on the Massachusetts
> IT community.  See also:

They have the Binary Freedom group over there. After Microsoft was caught
corrupting against ODF in MA, there's plenty of anger -- and anger that's
justified. In recent years Microsoft was not so capable of hiding its dirty
(sometime illegal) deeds.

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."

                                        --Nathan Newman