[News] Three New GNU/Linux Distributions Just Released: Momonga, Parted Magic, Slax

  • Subject: [News] Three New GNU/Linux Distributions Just Released: Momonga, Parted Magic, Slax
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:38:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Momonga Linux 4 Plus was released (tab, 2008/2/29)

ftp://dist.momonga-linux.org/pub/momonga/4.1/

Parted Magic [Parted Magic 2.1 Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| 2/28/08 - Parted Magic 2.1. This is mostly a bug fix release. The only major
| improvement is support for ext4 in VisParted and Linux-2.6.24.2. Ext4 file
| systems are still being detected as ext3 by parted after they are
| successfully created. If you can help with code to fix this issue, please
| contact me. Most of the stupid and annoying mistakes in 2.0 have been
| addressed.
`----

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php?n=PartedMagic.News

[Slax 6.0.1 is out]

http://www.slax.org/

Related:

Momonga Linux 4 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| To our regular users, Momonga Project wishs to express our most gratitude for
| continuing support.
`----

http://www.momonga-linux.org/archive/Momonga-devel.en/msg00036.html

Japanese Government to Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Japan is said to be leading the effort, which could launch
| as early as next month.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34429_id.html?.v=1

Oracle, IBM, NEC to market Linux in Japan: Nikkei

,----[ Quote ]
| Major information technology firms, including Oracle Corp., IBM Corp. and
| NEC Corp., will set up a consortium to sell servers and systems running
| the Linux operating system in Japan, a financial daily said on
| Thursday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/02/AR2007050202938.html

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

Parted Magic 2.0 - Firefox Included!

,----[ Quote ]
| Parted Magic 2.0 is a 42MB  Live CD/USB/PXE with the main goal of providing
| disk drive partitioning software. This new edition of Parted Magic 2.0 is
| designed for use  on x86 hardwares and was released two days before this
| year's Valentine's Day.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/248/1/

10/26/07 - Parted Magic 1.9

,----[ Quote ]
| Updated packages: linux-2.6.23, ntfsprogs-2.0.0, ntfs-3g-1.913,
| isomaster-1.1, conky-1.4.7, busybox-1.7.0, jfsutils-1.1.12, testdisk-6.8,
| partimage-0.6.6, parted-1.8.8, fuse-2.7.0, mtools-3.9.11, xfsprogs_2.9.3-1,
| lshw-B.02.11.
`----

http://partedmagic.com/news.html

KDE development platform appears

,----[ Quote ]
| This Wednesday in KDE land sees the start of the Release Freeze for KDE 4.0,
| anticipating a final release in December.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/10/24/kde-development-platform-appears

Parted Magic 1.8 is out and it has some new features and many updated programs.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://partedmagic.com/news.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Parted Magic is a Linux LiveCD/USB/PXE with its elemental purpose being to
| partition hard drives.
|
| [...]
|
| Parted Magic is the continuation of the GParted LiveCD project that I
| originated (GParted LiveCD versions greater than 0.3.3 are now the work of
| LarryT), and falls under the terms of the GPL.
`----

http://partedmagic.com/index.html

Parted Magic 1.8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all this is a great tool to have in your toolbox for creating
| partitions on any PC. It comes with a wide assortment of utilities that
| worked well in all my tests.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php?m=show&id=6511

SLAX on USB Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| To claim that the technology pushes ahead in such a speed that the article
| will be rendered obsolete very soon is like preaching platitudes. I’d like to
| end the article then with a few words of timeless meanings.
|
| Firstly, every program is aimed and is designed to run in a well defined
| environment. Changing distribution media for GNU/Linux systems will not lead
| to new functionality. It may create circumstances to run faster (or slower),
| but SquashFS as a read-only system will remain as such, regardless of the
| media. Changing` hardware is not enough. Just as the application coded for
| uniprocessor machines will not run faster on computers with 100 cores. Even
| so, it’s not the cores that matter.
|
| Secondly, the best answers to some problems are standard solutions. I asked
| 17 friends of mine to check if their machines were able to start system from
| USB. Needless to say, without BIOS update. All in all only 17 out of 25
| computers passed the test.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/slax/slax-on-usb-drive/

SLAX 6.0: How does it work?

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that I do change distros very often and were it not for the
| frequent manual changes of the config files, the never ending checking
| whether the versions of the system’s parts are correct… Well, for a server,
| which it suffices to configure only once and for all, it’s an excellently
| tailored distro. Or if one would like to select reasonable software, have it
| installed, then configure it carefully, and finally burned it as a LiveCD…
| Yes… and have the logo of a green clover added just for luck… Wow, that’d be
| something!
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/slax/slax-60-how-does-it-work/

SLAX, the Shrunken Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
| All things considered, SLAX is without doubt, a distro to beat in terms of
| speed, functionality, and stability. It is filled with handy applications
| ideal for productive use. SLAX LiveCD can also be reliably utilized to rescue
| a broken system and it can be fully customized if you want to create your own
| CD or even a SLAX based distribution. Certainly, SLAX fits this tongue
| twisting description: "SLAX is a shrunken Slackware."
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/11/slax-shrunken-slackware.html

How to create a GNU/Linux live USB stick with SLAX

,----[ Quote ]
| SLAX is a great operating system. And we haven’t even scratched the surface
| of what it can do. You can create your own SLAX, build your own modules, and
| even install SLAX to a hard drive. And best of all, you now have a GNU/Linux
| system to show off to your friends.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/live_usb_stick_with_slax

Slax: The Do-It-Yourselfer's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One can change Knoppix or Kubuntu, again with non-trivial effort, but why
| bother? Why not consider a Linux distro, which starts out lean-and-mean and
| can be easily changed and adapted to suit your specific needs and tastes? I'm
| referring to a Linux distro that's downright friendly to Windows, making it
| easy for Linux newbies to gradually learn about Linux without abandoning [the
| ever-comfortable] Windows. I'm talking about Slax.
`----

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2179133,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

Slax 5.1.8.1 KillBill Edition -- first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| I've already burned CDs of the plain Slax and the smaller Popcorn
| edition, meant to install on 128 MB flash media. I'll try these in
| the Dell, and hopefully soon in the Thin Puppy (the Maxspeed Maxterm
| thin client I'm using to write this post). If it works, will I have
| to rename that machine Thin Slax? Yes, I will.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/04/slax_5181_killbill_edition_fir.html

About MySLAX Creator

,----[ Quote ]