[News] On the Importance of Hardware Openness and Healthcare Openness

  • Subject: [News] On the Importance of Hardware Openness and Healthcare Openness
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:32:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Making open hardware possible

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software has many benefits: you can get more secure software, faster
| updates, lots of tutorials and, definitely, a new way of making software and
| software that builds communities. From this, the next logical step was Open
| Hardware.
|
| [...]
|
| One of the goals of free software is that it can be accessed by everyone; but
| hardware has unavoidable costs for components and manufacturing. That’s why
| Richard Stallman, Free Software Foundation founder, said that getting Open
| Hardware wasn’t as important as getting free software, since the hardware’s
| copy and distribution process was more complicated.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/making_open_hardware_possible

Open Source Needs Health Care Coverage

,----[ Quote ]
| First, let’s look at the big picture. A quick check of the news wires this
| morning revealed major healthcare-related statements from:
|
|     * Avnet (the big distributor is promoting its healthcare ISVs)
|     * Cisco (mobile healthcare)
|     * Dell (partnering on patient care systems)
|     * IBM (Virtual healthcare on Second Life)
|     * Lawson Software (more than 100 healthcare providers are using its
|       mobile applications)
|     * Nortel and Polycom (TelePresence for hospitals)
|     * Xerox (document management for healthcare)
|
| Of course, not all of the releases are compelling. Plenty of companies throw
| useless information out on the news wires in lame attempts to generate noise.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/02/25/open-source-needs-health-care-cove

Related:

Group interview: a graphic view of the open hardware movement. Part 1:
motivations

,----[ Quote ]
| All hypothetically speaking of course—I would estimate the chance of a full
| Open Hardware release by ATI or nVidia as being similar to the chance of
| Microsoft publishing the Windows source under the GPL.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/interview_a_graphic_view_of_the_open_hardware_movement_part_1_motivations

Open source hardware comes out of closet

,----[ Quote ]
| EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
| pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
| now it’s becoming a reality.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/open-source-hardware-coming

Do we need an open hardware license?

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, Hicks says that it's possible to use open source hardware designs with
| field-programmable gate arrays, "which are quite affordable," and points to
| OpenSPARC and the OPENCORES community of open hardware designers as examples
| of real-world usage of open hardware.
|
| Phipps says that he sees open hardware following in the footsteps of FOSS,
| though he says mainstreaming of open hardware "will take much longer ... to
| get a foothold."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118198

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
| against ATI/AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427