Re: [News] [Rival] Arrogant Microsoft Thinks It Invented the PC

DFS wrote:

> SomeBloke wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Mundie: Google owes business to Microsoft
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> I love this bit
>>
>> [ Quote]
>>
>> He said Google was able to grow so quickly because it introduced a new
>> business model for the Web at just the right time. "It wasn't that
>> many years ago that Google didn't exist," Mundie said. But now that
>> the industry and competitors like Microsoft are catching up to
>> Google's online advertising strategy, "I don't think they can do
>> anything we can't do," he said.
>>
>> In fact, Microsoft's longevity versus its relatively new competitor
>> gives it a substantial advantage long term over Google, Mundie said.
>> "I'd like to think we're strategically open-minded, we've made
>> adjustments [to our business model]," Mundie said. "I'd like to see
>> Google and someone else come up with something that really threatens
>> our business model."
>>
>> [Unquote]
>>
>> Don't you just love it when a Microsoft employee has a sense of
>> humour!
>
> Which part do you think is funny, and why?

I think Microsoft has proved that they *can't* do what Google did -- which
is why they're trying to buy Yahoo -- who couldn't do what Google did. Just
like Microsoft couldn't do what Apple did with iPod, or won't be able to do
what VMWare did with virtualization, or can't do what Symbian has done on
mobile phones.

The main thing Microsoft can't do is come up with the innovative idea in the
first place.

But you've got to give this Mundi character an A for enthusiasm -- or is
that PHD for bullshit?

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"