[News] New NVIDIA Display Driver Released for Linux

  • Subject: [News] New NVIDIA Display Driver Released for Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:36:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
NVIDIA 169.12 Linux Display Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| The NVIDIA 169.12 driver replaces the 169.09 release, which was released just
| a month ago and consisted of maintenance fixes. Since that, however, NVIDIA
| had quietly released the 171.05 Linux driver. NVIDIA's 171.05 driver is only
| endorsed for use with their Tesla S870 GPU Computing Systems, but we have had
| no problems using this driver with GeForce ASICs. Most notably in this driver
| update was introducing an nvidia-smi utility, for providing system-state and
| diagnostic information using the System Management Interface. Interestingly
| though, today's driver release still resides in the 169.xx branch.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_16912&num=1

Recent:

PhysX For CUDA, Linux Support A Given?

,----[ Quote ]
| CUDA has been supported under Linux from the start with their graphics driver
| now bundling the CUDA driver and version 1.1 of the CUDA Toolkit being
| supported under Fedora 7, RHEL 3/4/5, SLED 10, OpenSuSE 10, and Ubuntu 7.04
| (binary downloads).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMzNA

Related:

Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Though with this afternoon's announcement of NVIDIA acquiring AGEIA, we
| wonder how this could impact the level of PhysX support for Linux. As NVIDIA
| actively supports a binary driver for their GeForce and Quadro products, we'd
| hope that once these GeForce+PhysX graphics cards are introduced we will find
| support within the NVIDIA Linux driver. We also hope the future bundling of
| PhysX IP into NVIDIA's GPUs won't hamper their rumored open-source strategy.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMxOA

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
| against ATI/AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ

Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;563338166;pp;1