[News] New Distribution Releases: grml 1.1, pfSense, DragonFly

  • Subject: [News] New Distribution Releases: grml 1.1, pfSense, DragonFly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:51:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
grml 1.1 - codename Skunk (20080224)

,----[ Quote ]
| grml is a Debian-based Live-CD. It includes a collection of GNU/Linux
| software especially for users of texttools and system administrators. grml
| provides automatic hardware detection. You can use grml for example as a
| rescue system, for analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It
| is not necessary to install anything to a harddisk, you don't even need a
| harddisk to run it, unless you want to (use grml2hd for this). Due to
| on-the-fly decompression grml includes about 2.1GB of software and
| documentation on the CD.
`----

http://www.grml.org/changelogs/README-grml-1.1/

[pfSense] 1.2 Release Available!

,----[ Quote ]
| The pfSense development team is proud to bring you the 1.2 release! This
| brings the features and bug fixes from more than 16 months of development
| since the 1.0 release. Already widely tested and deployed throughout the
| Release Candidate phase, this release provides the finishing touches on
| releases already proven in a wide range of network environments. The Release
| Candidate versions have been downloaded more than 250,000 times.
`----

http://blog.pfsense.org/?p=170

BSDs:

DragonFly - January 2008 Release 1.12.x Download

,----[ Quote ]
| DragonFly CDs are 'live', which means that the CD will boot your system and
| let you log in as root (no password). You can use this feature to check for
| hardware compatibility and play with DragonFly a little before actually
| installing it on your hard drive.
`----

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/community/release1_12.shtml

What's New in FreeBSD 7.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Federico Biancuzzi interviewed two dozen developers to discuss all the cool
| details of FreeBSD 7.0: networking and SMP performance, SCTP support, the new
| IPSEC stack, virtualization, monitoring frameworks, ports, storage limits and
| a new journaling facility, what changed in the accounting file format,
| jemalloc(), ULE, and more.
`----

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2008/02/26/whats-new-in-freebsd-70.html?CMP=OTC-6YE827253101&ATT=What+s+New+in+FreeBSD+7+0
http://tinyurl.com/36y3su

Related:

More distros = more choice

,----[ Quote ]
| With more than 300 active distributions (distros), Linux is on a roll. Linux
| distros primarily differ in terms of features since they are built on
| variants of the same kernel (32-bit/64-bit; with various features of the
| kernel enabled or disabled). “All the Linux distributions come from the same
| upstream kernel and what distinguishes each distribution is how they provide
| support, get ISVs to certify the ISV applications on the specific
| distribution, and how IHVs (Independent Hardware Vendor) get to do the same,”
| feels Nandu Pradhan, President & Managing Director, Red Hat India.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20080211/opensource03.shtml

Distros Don’t Drive Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of press and people focus on Linux distributions when they check out
| what happens in Linux land. This and that distro come in new releases and
| they offer this and that brand new feature. This is also true of the many
| linux podcasts. They give credit to distros for new things that pop up.
`----

http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2007/10/28/distros-dont-drive-development/

The distro jungle

,----[ Quote ]
| People who are new to Linux are often confused by the large number of
| distributions to choose from. The good news is that you can safely ignore
| most of them. This article helps you choose a distribution for getting
| started with your Linux exploration—and helps you understand just what
| it is you've just chosen.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-distros/?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR&ca=dgr-btw01distrojungle

Ubuntu 7.10 & Fedora 8 Performance Compared

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line is with our hardware we had used and these common Phoronix
| benchmarks, the performance of Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10 was deadlocked. There
| was no clear winner. If you are trying to decide between taking the Ubuntu or
| Fedora route, you're best off looking at the distribution's features and what
| they mean to you.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=912&num=1

Schism

,----[ Quote ]
| When someone says a recent Linux Distro is 100 times better than another
| recent Linux distro, I worry a little that schism has lead to computer
| religion. Taken on its face, examined rationally, you have to ask "how can
| that be?". They all feed off the same kernel stock, and pull in the same sets
| of office projects and same GUI projects and so forth.
`----

http://on-being-open.blogspot.com/2007/09/schism.html

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps next time the author might think about what they're
| saying...because limiting the number of distros out there is
| absolutely NOT the way to go to accomplish anything other
| than limiting innovation.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/186-Why-Having-500+-Distros-is-a-Good-Thing.html

Staffing for Linux, not distribution X