[News] [Rival] Windows Corru^H^Home Server Adding to Smudge 'Compatibility' List

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Corru^H^Home Server Adding to Smudge 'Compatibility' List
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:20:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Data Corruption Bug - List of Potential Applications Affected Grows

,----[ Quote ]
| In summary, Microsoft has reproduced the bug successfully with the following
| applications:
|
|     * Windows Vista Photo Gallery
|     * Windows Live Photo Gallery
|     * Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
|     * Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
|     * Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
|     * Microsoft Money 2007
|     * SyncToy 2.0 Beta
|     * Intuit QuickBooks
|     * uTorrent
|
| Home Server users have reported the issue occurring with the following list
| of applications:
|
|     * Photoshop Elements
|     * Zune Software
|     * Apple iTunes
|     * TagScanner
|     * Mozilla Thunderbird
|     * Adobe Lightroom
|     * Intuit QuickenMS Digital Image Library
|     * MP3BookHelper
|     * ACDSee
|     * WinAmp
|     * Windows Media Player 11
|     * Microsoft Office Excel
|     * Visual DataFlex
|
| So, to put this in perspective, the list of potential applications affected
| is growing.
`----

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/02/21/data-corruption-bug-list-of-potential-applications-affected-grows/

Windows Home Server: best tool available for data shredding. Cheaper than
expert formatters.

Related:

News Briefs: 1-17-08

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Home Server Anti-evangelism. Microsoft technical evangelist Volker
| Will is really unhappy about Windows Home Server. I'm a big fan of the
| product marketing, but Will's anti-endorsement has me wondering about getting
| a HP MediaSmart Server as planned.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/news_briefs_11708.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Windows Home Server bug corrupts files

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that the point of Windows Home Server is to allow you to store
| your media files, a bug in the storage process that could result in
| corrupted files is bound to get attention.
|
| Microsoft has issued a support document for the 13 or so (just
| kidding) people using Windows Home Server, the company's latest
| product for those attempting to build the digital home of the future.
| Apparently there's a flaw in the way Windows Home Server works with
| certain Microsoft applications, such as Windows Vista Photo Gallery,
| that could result in corrupted files if you use those applications to
| save files to the server. A list of the specific applications can be
| found in the support document.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9838093-37.html?tag=newsmap

A Non-obvious Use for Debbie (a Debian 4.0 Home Server)

,----[ Quote ]
| So far Debbie has worked in all of the relatively simple roles I've put her
| to. AVI, MOV and JPG files all work well on either the Linux or Windows
| clients when served by Debbie. PDFs work in either Linux or Windows. They
| even work when accessed by browser plug-ins, either FireFox 2 or IE6 or 7.
| Copying files to and from Debbie by the kids has been easy to implement.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10007038o-2000440676b,00.htm

Welcome to the Ubuntu Home Server Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Home Server (UHS) will be an edition of the Ubuntu operating system
| which allows users to administer their home network.
`----

http://www.ubuntuhomeserver.org/

Who needs Windows Home Server with Linux around?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this a joke? I only recently started paying attention to Windows Home
| Server, since I tend to focus more on desktop operating systems and
| enterprise server systems. So I didn't realize until now that WHS is really
| just a vanilla file server.

Will bad backups doom Windows Home Server?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft just announced it's working on Windows Home Server, which
| among other features, will automatically back up files on all PCs in
| the home. But if the product uses the same kind of brain-dead backup
| built into Windows Vista, this is a product that will be dead on arrival.
|
| The backup tool built into Windows Vista may be the worst utility
| every packed into an operating system. It doesn't allow you to back
| up individual files, folders or even file types. Instead, you have to
| back up every single file and folder of broad generic types.
|
| For example, if you want to back up a single picture, you have to back
| up every single graphic of every graphic file type on your entire PC,
| including all the graphics that Vista itself uses. This means you can
| be forced to back up hundreds of gigabytes of files if you only want
| to back up a few family photos.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/4303

Windows Home Server fan club [Shills?] beats me up for asking if WHS is
Microsoft’s next flop

,----[ Quote ]
| Literally within minutes of each other (strangely coincidental), I received
| two e-mails — one from a colleague and the other from someone who concealed
| their identity — that basically told me I was out of line for questioning the
| chances that Microsoft’s Windows Home Server will succeed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=851

Home Servers Hold Big Promise, Limited Appeal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.smartmoney.com/Techsmart/index.cfm?story=20070906&afl=yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| In an entry on the Home Server blog, program manager Chris Sullivan
| said that the group has received nearly 2,400 bug reports so far from
| beta testers, and still had 495, or about 21% of the total, classified
| as "active."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9014183&intsrc=news_ts_head

Will Windows Home Server be Microsoft’s next flop?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=791