[News] [Rival] Microsoft Sends Lobbyists to Geneva, for OOXML Brainwash

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Sends Lobbyists to Geneva, for OOXML Brainwash
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:50:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Geneva. Day Zero

,----[ Quote ]
| I had some time to burn, so I checked out the location of the hotel of the
| other Malaysian delegates, and was surprised to find that not only were they
| there waiting in the lobby, but I found the Microsoft Malaysia lackey in the
| same hotel sitting in the same lobby schmoozing the delegates. How come I
| didnt get the memo?
|
| Anyway, his trip was wasted because this constant pressure by Microsoft on
| the Malaysian delegates are starting to take its toll. I mean how creepy is
| it to find this guy who has traveled the width and breadth of the Malaysian
| Peninsular with the intention of 'updating each  other' and now to find him
| halfway across the world in your hotel lobby?
|
| Gah, stalker.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/02/geneva-day-zero.html

People warned about this. The abusive monopolists can't just let things be, not
even in a secretive meeting where the public and the press are blocked out.

Related:

Hot stuffin' in Greece?

,----[ Quote ]
| After the voting of the Greek HoD you may ask why the votes were 14 in total,
| when the organisations appointed to the committee are just 12. That's only
| the latest of the magical wonders around OpenXML.
|
| [...]
|
| New voting members are joining the committee at the last minute:
|
|     However, during the discussion, the representative of the Information
|     Society showed the fax he had received, to which was attached the
|     decision 19103/08 of the ELOT administration, dated 1 February 2008,
|     which modifies the composition of the Committee by adding four new
|     organisations: the Ministry of Education, two departments of the Ministry
|     of Economics, and Information Society S.A. The representatives of NTUA
|     had not been informed of this decision.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-42845/hot-stuffin-in-greece

OOXML/ODF: Just One Battlefield in a Much Bigger War

,----[ Quote ]
| In a future world of all-cloud devices, the notion of a desktop Linux, like
| the notion of a desktop Windows or OS X machine, would be very different.
| Certainly of these three operating systems, Linux has the best reputation and
| capability for going small and fast.
|
| Even if this sci-fi-sounding world does not come to be, I am increasingly
| convinced that the next big new market in IT is the cloud sector--a sector
| for which Linux (and ODF) is already well-suited.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-22-021-26-OP-BZ-SV

Bam! Comical Creese debunks OpenDocumentFormat Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| You are free to inspect the irregularities website that documents few cases
| reported by the online press and blogs. We got much more reports on an
| informal base per email. The Swedish single employee story is not credible,
| actually committee stuffing took place in Sweden.
|
|     On loopholes, that’s another subjective call, but since Microsoft
|     competitors managed to establish control over a standards initiative with
|     potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoft’s most important
|     business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft (legitimately,
|     albeit with what some consider to be poor standards etiquette) exploited
|     the loopholes. As we noted, we assume ISO will update its procedures to
|     eliminate the loopholes in the future.
|
| What?
|
|     Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
|     initiative…
|
| What?
|
|     Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
|     initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoft’s most
|     important business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft …
|     exploited the loopholes.
|
| ???
|
|     but since Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a
|     standards initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of
|     Microsoft’s most important business domains, we are not surprised that
|     Microsoft (legitimately, albeit with what some consider to be poor
|     standards etiquette) exploited the loopholes.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41447/bam-comical-creese-debunks-opendocumentformat-alliance

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML