[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Shenanigans Tried to Get Tim Bray Fired With Smear Campaign

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Shenanigans Tried to Get Tim Bray Fired With Smear Campaign
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:12:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Life Is Complicated

,----[ Quote ]
| Those with long memories might suggest a parallel between Rick’s position and
| mine when in 1997, I was sitting on the XML Working Group and co-editing the
| spec, on a pro bono basis as an indie consultant. Netscape hired me to
| represent their interests, and when I announced this, controversy ensued.
| Which is a nice way of saying that Microsoft went berserk; tried
| unsuccessfully to get me fired as co-editor, and then launched a vicious,
| deeply personal extended attack in which they tried to destroy my career and
| took lethal action against a small struggling company because my wife worked
| there. It was a sideshow of a sideshow of the great campaign to bury Netscape
| and I’m sure the executives have forgotten; but I haven’t.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/01/24/Mixup

Yes, that's the 'Microsoft mafia'. That's why _even Microsoft_ describes it
as "Jihad" in its internal memos. That's just how the company operates and
we're seeing the same strategy here among COLA trolls.

Another organisation that revolves around briberies is falling apart now, which
is good:

Siemens to cut 7,000 jobs at telecom biz

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080225/ap_on_hi_te/germany_siemens_jobs

Related:

Q&A: Former Mass. CIO feels 'bittersweet pride' after battles with Microsoft,
legislature

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.
|
|    Quinn:  I believe that the ODF decision will stand. I believe MS
|    will continue to do anything and everything it can to stop it. And I
|    know my seat wasn't even empty and they (MS) took another shot at
|    the title, to no avail. This horse is out of the barn and I see no
|    way for it to go back in. Remember, all we are asking for was and is
|    for Microsoft to commit to open and the standards process; so
|    everyone looks really bad if the plug gets pulled at this juncture.

MPs rap BBC over Siemens deal

,----[ Quote ]
| But public spending watchdog the PAC said BBC executives misled the board
| of governors about possible savings while trying to convince them to give
| the deal the go-ahead.
|
| The committee of MPs found £60m of costs was excluded when budgets were
| put to the governors for approval.
|
| [...]
|
| The PAC said the BBC was failing to manage the contract properly.
|
| [...]
|
| The report suggests the BBC should open up its accounts to government
| officials for proper scrutiny.
`----           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/29/pac_bbc_siemens/

Siemens stained by multimillion bribery scandal

,----[ Quote ]
| Hacks there have seen a ruling by a German court which named telco ministers
| in these countries as the lucky recipients of 77 bribes worth an estimated 12
| million Euro.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/16/siemens-shelled-millions

BMW and Siemens Welcome Interoperability Benefits of Microsoft-Novell Agreement
        ^^^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| For Siemens, the agreement will support the Siemens operating company through
| the work of the ISEC subsidiary of Siemens Enterprise Communications, which
| is responsible for customer software application development and management
| worldwide. Due to the large quantity of current and legacy Linux
| applications in customer environments, Siemens has significant need for
| Windows and Linux platform compatibility.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQTU06711092007-1.htm

Bribery scandal: Siemens fined 201 million euros

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/96999/from/rss09